XP SP3 Reboot with bugchecks

vincentyu

Hi, my pc suffered several reboots with no apparent reason. Checking the event log reveals bugchecks with codes: 0x100000c5 and 0x1000007e. I've attached the minidumps. Please help!

My HW config: Intel DG41TX mobo with latest BIOS(0053) and drivers, Intel Celeron E3300 2.5GHz, 2x2GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz RAM, 500GB 7200rpm 3.5" Seagate HD
My SW config: XP SP3 with latest patches

Thanks,

Attachments

• Mini031211-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini031211-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
Your issue is with the Avast driver aswTdi.sys. Avast is a solid Tier 1 security software though even the best have issues. I have seen it with other Tier 1 offerings from Kaspersky and ESET's NOD32 as well.

See if there are updates for your software. What other security measures do you have installed and are running?

Your issue is with the Avast driver aswTdi.sys. Avast is a solid Tier 1 security software though even the best have issues. I have seen it with other Tier 1 offerings from Kaspersky and ESET's NOD32 as well.

See if there are updates for your software. What other security measures do you have installed and are running?

My avast! is the free version and I think it's up-to-date @ v6.0.1000. I don't have any other security products installed beside avast!. Windows firewall is used though.

What about the other dump? What does that one say?

Your other error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Only a Windows OS driver was cited and they are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help.

Check Event Viewer for additional information. Look for Yellow Triangles and especially RED Xs and what they flag.

Start > Run > type in EventVwr.msc > Okay

Thanks for the reply.
There are no yellow or red entries in the event viewer. The only ones are 'Information' entries named 'Save dump'. The one correspond to the 2nd dump has the following entry:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8052a905, 0xba4e7af4, 0xba4e77f0). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031211-01.dmp.

BTW, when it crashed it immediately went to the bios screen and rebooted. I didn't have a chance to see the BSOD. It seemed as if someone had pressed the reset switch suddenly.

Excuse me poking my nose in here but looking at the error codes from the first post the C5 error is almost always due to drivers and that can also cause a 7E.

In this case I would run Driver Verifier to quickly check if this is indeed a driver issue. Follow the guide below.

For windows XP - Click on Start and then Run. Type verifier into the box and hit the Enter key.
For Vista and Windows 7 - Click on Start and type verifier into the search box then click on verifier in the list that pops up.

Driver Verifier Manager will open.

Select the first choice "Create Standard Settings" and click on the "Next" button.

Now select "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer" and click on the "Finish" button.

A box will appear asking you to restart the PC for the changes to take effect. Click on "OK" and reboot the PC.

To stop Auto reboot so you can read the error message do this for Windows XP:
Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure, uncheck the "Automatically restart" check box.

And do this in Windows 7 and Vista:
Click Start, select 'Control Panel' select 'System' in the left pane select 'Advanced System Settings' in the box select the 'Advanced' tab then under 'Startup and Recovery' select 'Settings.' In the box under 'System Failure' uncheck 'Automatically Restart'.

If the PC reboots normally then there is no problem with any of the drivers. If you get a blue screen straight away it will name the faulty driver. If you are absolutley certain that the named driver is OK then make a note of it.

You will then have to go back into the Verifier and instead of selecting all drivers select "Select drivers from a list". Click on "Next" and the list of drivers will appear. Select them all apart from the one you know to be OK. Click on "Finish" and reboot.

Once you have identified the faulty driver or confirmed that there are none go back to the first page of the Driver Verifier Manager and select "Delete Existing Settings" and click on "Finish"

Yes, I realize that which is why I had him do Event Viewer. Second, why I want him to post his next patch of minidumps.

May be I got it wrong, but isn't Driver Verifier the quickest way to find faulty driver/s unless the minidumps have some consistency which they frequently don't. I am always keen to learn from someone with considerably more experience.

Back