XP without CD drive remove Linux

I have an ACER Aspire one D150-1BW with XP Home Edition with service pack 3 all legal, but have no installation CDs or CD drive.
I installed ubuntu but its an annoyance and want to remove it, clear the space and just use my XP OS. The tablet bios allows me to boot from USB HDD, USB CDROM or USB FDD. I do not know if any of these mean that I can boot from a USB flash drive?
All the articles I have read to remove ubantu require you to have a CD or backup your system onto a CD. Since I have no CD how can I do this. Moreover my ACER erecovery Management recovery software will not allow me to make a recovery disk on a usb drive as it does not recognise the usb!
I have no problem deleting the linus partition (I have not done so yet), but cannot see any way round having a CD!
Can anyone please help

Acer has a hidden recovery partition to reinstall XP -- unless in the process of installing Ubuntu you decided to format the entire hard drive, in which case that partition is gone and you just basically rendered the laptop useless.

But in order to get this back, Hard Disk Recovery should be enabled by default in your BIOS setup. Hit F2 and go into the Advanced tab to ensure that HDR is enabled. Then reboot your system until you see the Acer logo then press Alt-F10 at the same time. If it asks you for a security code, enter 000000. Proceed with the factory restore from there.

XP without CD drive remove linus

Hi ChinoNYC, many thanks for yoyr response. Two points, if you can help:
When I do F2 for the BIOS, I have no Advanced Tab. What do you mean by HDD enabled. The first boot option is the HDD, is this what you mean?
When I reboot and press Alt + F10, it just brings me immediately to GNU GRUB screen to select between Ubuntu or Windows.
Am I doing something wrong?

I'm sorry, paw. I skipped over the model number whch is D150. Actually, what you want to make sure is that when you get into the BIOS screen, make sure that the D2D Recovery setting under the Main tab is Enabled. Exit and save your changes to reboot from the Acer logo. Once the Acer logo is shown, then you press Alt-F10 repeatedly until the Acer Recovery screen comes on. If it throws you onto the GRUB screen, it will most likely be that the recovery partition no longer exists.

XP without CD drive remove linus

Many thanks again. Yes the D2D is enabled in the Main option of the BIOS. However the Alt+F10 does not function so the installation of Ubuntu must have deleted recovery partition.
Is there anything I can do?

You could try using an OEM version of XP SP3 and see if that solves the problem. The only caveat with this is that once you have finialized the installation, then comes the task of searching Acer's website for all the drivers related to your model and serial.

You need restore original boot loader. Then you need delete linux partition.
Boot from flash drive with Xp.
Press R on keyboard. Press 1.
Type fixmbr.
Press Y on keyboard.

Linux partition you can delete with Easeus partition manager (it's free).

Back