XP x64, random crashing, bugcheck 3b, 50, 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a Quad core, XP x64 that's only about a year old. Recently replaced the power supply (upgraded to 600W) because the old one (450W) couldn't cut it.

Have been experiencing random BSoD's for a few months, haven't been able to track it down.

Computer constantly accesses the internet, yet the malware scanners (AdAware and MalwareBytes and SpyBot) come up clean. Idle processes and/or Svchost seem to be the main culprits.

Last BSoD happened just after Firefox crashed. I got the browser going again, shut it down, then run AdAware. 20s into the scan it threw the BSoD. I repeated the scan, and it happened again. My brother tried it, and it didn't: aka it doesn't crash for the techie.

Here's my stats:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Bios Version V1.0 07272007
Regular background defrag using Ashampoo Magic Defrag 2.
Completed all 7 passes with Memtest86 v2.11 A-OK, no errors.
Running with 4GB of ram, page file allowed 2GB-4GB. Initial size of page file 2GB.
Temperatures: GPU: 42 C CPU: 55 C Samsung HDD: 48 C

I've included the contents of my minidump folder in the zip, as well as the log of HijackThis!.

If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative.

saltandpepper.

Five errors are 0x00000051: REGISTRY_ERROR

This indicates a Registry or Configuration Manager problem. An I/O error may have occurred while the Registry was trying to read one of its files (caused by hardware or file system problems). This message might also appear due to a memory management error (more common in earlier versions of Windows NT).

Cited ntkrnlmp.exe in all five which is a core Windows driver; in fact all your minidumps cite this core driver. Too general to help but it could be your registry.

One error is 0xA which are strong indication of hardware issues but can also be caused by drivers attempting to access an IRQ Level they have no right to.

Another one is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card)

Your remaining three errors are 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Cause
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

1. Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so find NOD32 free online scan and scan your system. Also, what antivirus are you running?

2. Run ChkDsk

3. Ask your brother the techi to check your Registry File but be careful because the Registry File can be tricky.

4. If you think you are infected you should post your Hijack log over at the Virus and Malware Removal forum.

5. A Windows repair may be the need here.

Here's what I've done so far since my last post.

PowerDVD v5 (an oldie but a goodie) suddenly decided it refused to play DVDs. So in the process of trying to fix it, I also found my codecs weren't working. At all. So I uninstalled the package I was using (some Windows Essentials Package, which I do *not* recommend), and tried CCCP and KLite. KLite (both the 32bit and 64bit versions) finally got the codec problem fixed, and in the process I found three broken registry links, which I fixed. Mainly to do with broken codecs and broken Directshow links, but that may (or maynot) be all of the problem.

And then I also updated my video card driver. Its now only a month old instead of a year, but I'm not sure if this is enough, as I haven't really "stressed" the system since the first post. (I've decided to just uninstall and reinstall PowerDVD and be done with it, since I have other players anyway.)

I've also gone into Safe Mode and ran my antivirus. Avast v 4.8. Came up clean, on all drives and archives.

I've also ran chkdsk on all drives. No bad sectors, just 5 unindexed files on C drive. Pretty good considering how old this computer is and that I run it 12+ hrs a day.

Miscellaneous stuff is updating the drivers for RealTek audio and PCI-E LAN, and the chipset.

Oh, and stopping a few of the exceptions in the Internet connection, which seems to have solved the problem I was having there. Which just leaves the BSoDs and the registry errors.

Is there some kind of registry sweeper/cleaner for x64 bit versions?
Windows repair is the repair on the cd, right?
My other brother (not the techie) is advocating a clean slate (reinstalling windows) and starting it from scratch. Would that be too drastic? Or is that what I'm looking at if I can't get these errors fixed?

saltandpepper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back