Yahoo purchases mobile advertising startup Admovate

Shawn Knight

Staff member

yahoo admovate mobile advertising

Yahoo on Wednesday announced the acquisition of advanced mobile ad technology startup Admovate. The company is responsible for developing sophisticated technology that helps marketers reach their desired audience at the right time and place according to a post on Yahoo’s official Tumblr.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has repeatedly expressed her belief that Yahoo should be focused on mobile first and foremost. This acquisition falls right in line with that belief as Admovate’s technology is said to be especially important for mobile ad experiences that engage users on smaller screens.

Scott Burke, SVP of display advertising and advertising technology, said the purchase is part of their efforts to invest further in their existing ad tech platforms – Apt, Genome and Right Media. The infusion of technology and talent (Admovate’s engineers will join Yahoo’s display advertising team in Sunnyvale) will help make buying ads easier for advertisers and agencies.

A post on Admovate’s website, however, hints that the technology might not have ever gone live. The message – which is now the only thing shown on the website – says Yahoo shares their vision and is investing to make it real on a massive scale. Together, they will be able to execute that vision faster and address the most important mobile advertising challenges for their customers.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed but either way, Yahoo has been on a tear as of late with regards to acquisitions and it appears to be working – sort of. Yesterday, the company revealed earnings were up 46 percent in the second quarter. In the three month period ending in June, Yahoo recorded $1.07 billion in net revenue.

Permalink to story.

These acquisitions and this improving earning report certainly explain the recent surge of investor confidence. In my opinion, Yahoo is definitely poised for success if they can keep their eye on the ball.

A link to their 52-week chart:

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=yhoo&insttype=&freq=&show=

Success would still require people using their services. If all they have to offer is more intrusive spying and marketing then they might as well give it up. Its all been downhill since they started charging for POP3/IMAP client access (although its still possible if you know how). Any company whose so-called free services *demand* my phone number can go straight to hell, esp when their search is garbage. "My Yahoo" is just about the only thing they have of worth at this point and I'm just waiting for them to dump it as well.

Back