You can now play God of War on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 thanks to modders

jsilva

In brief: If you want to play the PC version of the latest God of War, but you have a Windows 7/8/8.1 system, we're happy to be the bearer of some good news. Two modders have created a method that lets you play the game on older Windows operating systems.

We have known the PC version of God of War required Windows 10 as the bare minimum to run it since the system requirements were published. However, thanks to a mod developed by okt04175 and alan2350, fans can now play the action-adventure game on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1-based systems.

The tweakers found a way to modify the detection behavior of the OS version, allowing them to play on Win7/8/8.1. After modding the game to run on older Windows operating systems, you won't be able to play on Windows 10 and 11, which shouldn't matter for most. Worst case, you can verify the game files or just download the title again.

There are some requirements for the mod to work. These include doitsujin's dxvk, HansKristian-Work's vkd3d-proton, Sporif's DXVK-Async Patch, and marco-calautti's DeltaPatcher.

After downloading all the necessary mods, patch the GoW.exe file using the DeltaPatcher. Then paste the DXVK d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll files into the same folder that you have GoW.exe. If necessary, apply the DXVK-Async Patch to launch the game. You may also need to install Vulkan Runtime if you don't have it installed.

God of War for PC is available via Steam and Epic Games Store for $49.99.

Permalink to story.

I bought this on Friday, played about 10 hours and I cant play anymore. I swear this game should have a maximum IQ because its so basic that I genuinely start to fall asleep after about 20 mins. About the only good thing about it is the animations of throwing and retrieving your axe. The main dude Kratos is as dull as dishwater and apparently some kind of nice guy. Id rather he was a badass, hes supposed to be the god of war after all.

Such a disappointment.

I bought this on Friday, played about 10 hours and I cant play anymore. I swear this game should have a maximum IQ because its so basic that I genuinely start to fall asleep after about 20 mins. About the only good thing about it is the animations of throwing and retrieving your axe. The main dude Kratos is as dull as dishwater and apparently some kind of nice guy. Id rather he was a badass, hes supposed to be the god of war after all.

Such a disappointment.

You are in the minority I know a ton of people enjoying the heck out of this game I myself played it all weekend.

You are in the minority I know a ton of people enjoying the heck out of this game I myself played it all weekend.
I know I am! Its a critically acclaimed game. When I speak to friends who love it they all say "yeah its good to turn your brain off and play a mindless hack n slash". And they are 100% right about the turning your brain off part!

At least the port is decent, its another implementation of DLSS that looks better than native, most modern games with DLSS look better than native these days. Its a lot better than the vaseline fest that DLSS used to be.

I'm the opposite I don't see DLSS looking better than native its still upscaling. I do like that the game supports both DLSS and FSR on launch. The game does however have a memory leak that the dev's are looking into after a long playtime it will use up all vram on gpu so not a perfect port.

Last edited:
It's disappointing to see Microsoft artifically limiting system requirements when software can just run on older OS.

Is there a need for subscription based latest Office that requires Win10/11 when the original MS Office 95 can run on Window 95?

Everyone is forced to upgrade just to keep companies like Microsoft continue it's business.

I'm the opposite I don't see DLSS looking better than native its still upscaling. I do like that the game supports both DLSS and FSR on launch. The game does however have a memory leak that the dev's are looking into after a long playtime it will use up all vram on gpu so not a perfect port.
I mean several tech journalists have pointed out that DLSS looks better than native. Check out digital foundry, they even show how it looks better on their video with screenshots. To me its an enormous difference. Ive not noticed the VRAM issue, im getting 90fps on ultra and 120 fps on high with my RTX 2080.

Personally I couldnt care less about FSR. In its current form its a dumpster fire that nobody should be using. DLSS started off this way too so it will probably get better.

I mean several tech journalists have pointed out that DLSS looks better than native. Check out digital foundry, they even show how it looks better on their video with screenshots. To me its an enormous difference. Ive not noticed the VRAM issue, im getting 90fps on ultra and 120 fps on high with my RTX 2080.

Personally I couldnt care less about FSR. In its current form its a dumpster fire that nobody should be using. DLSS started off this way too so it will probably get better.
I've seen all those reviews.

And I've played it on a my friends machine with a 2080ti DLSS quality and I still perfer my Ultrawide setup at native to his. DLSS makes the image way to sharp with a super aggressive sharpen filter.

I've seen all those reviews.

And I've played it on a my friends machine with a 2080ti DLSS quality and I still perfer my Ultrawide setup at native to his. DLSS makes the image way to sharp with a super aggressive sharpen filter.
I am in the minority about disliking God of War and you are in the minority when not liking DLSS image quality lol.

Personally I love DLSS, the best thing it does is make motion way clearer. Its so much better than TAA. But each to their own I guess.

...DXVK and vkd3d-proton? So, what, we're basically emulating Linux system so that the game could run on Windows 7 to 8.1? That is so weird man.

Back