Your Daily emachine problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I ran in to a problem with my e machine a couple of years ago. One day when I was at home my screen turned blue and my fans started going crazy. Then my PC shut it self down. When I tried to start it up all I got where fans.

Since the PC has been sitting in storage but I would like to get it operating again. Today I took a look at it and this is what I have seen. As some of the problems.

* Doesn’t get to the point of beeping when I turn the computer on
* Fans are working over time
* Hard drive wisent spinning.
* No visual damage to any of the parts including no singing on the mother board
* No access dirt dust clogging any thing

after taking this computer completely apart and putting it back together I know I’m going to have to replace some thing. I’m just not sure what. I know emachines are known for bad power supplies and mother boards. I’m just not sure which the problem is. Or if it is both.

The model emachine is T6216
It has an AMD Athlon 64 Processor
2 Gigs of ram (2 sticks of ram came with 2 Kingston sticks added)

Also is this realistic to fix for under 100$? Honestly its an old machine and I know work for a major reseller for computer and computer parts and any thing over 100 to fix a machine this old and I may as well get a new HP or some thing.

Try replacing the power supply first. It is cheaper than a motherboard. If the PC still doesn't tun on properly, remove any PCI cards like a modem or USB adapters, and try booting... The motherboard might have taken out the power supply though

As Tmagic suggests, this actually does sound like a bad PSU. The only thing the fans running indicates is that the 12 volts positive is still present. Other voltages not present will cause the symptoms you describe, since the CPU or motherboard isn't on line. In the case of Intel boards the fan speed is controlled by the board, and they default to running wide open.

Here's a really nice Antec PSU on sale for cheap; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006&Tpk=EA-430 The free shipping always gets me. If the worse happens and it's not a bad power supply, at least you'll have a good place from which to start your new build.

Thank you!

Ok ill give it a shot. This PSU is 450 watt over kill though? I was originally looking at 300 watt, this is a older machine.

I don’t mean to second guess I’m sure you know more about this then I do I just want to make sure im getting the write thing.

Well, it's actually rated at 430 watts. Oh, I know, that's splitting hairs. It's always better to have a bit more capacity than too little. A PSU in this range would give you the extra capacity needed to use a graphics card up to the GT9600 range, should the mood strike you in the future. OEM manufacturers tend to push their machines out the door with just enough PSU capacity, giving no consideration to upgrades. Emachines is one of the most notorious at doing this. PSUs lose capacity as they age, something to consider also.

Due to the low ball current price of the Antec unit, coupled with it's 80+ % efficiency, it seems like a great bargain. UPS will be delivering mine tomorrow, which I'll be keeping as a spare. I elected not to miss this sale cycle.

The symptoms you described are identical to a problem with my own T-5026, I certainly wish you luck at getting yours up and running with a new PSU. I feel I got off easy, and I hope you do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back