Your router needs an update

D

DelJo63

ZDnet.com is reporting massive negligence in vender maintenance

• 46 routers hadn't got a single security update within the past year

• even if a consumer installs the latest firmware from a vendor, the router would still be vulnerable.

• ASUS and Netgear do a better job on some aspects of securing routers than D-Link, Linksys, TP-Link and Zyxel

• About 90% of the routers in the study used a Linux operating system

• Most of the devices are powered by Linux and security patches for Linux kernel and other open-source software are released several times a year. This means the vendors could distribute security patches to their devices far more often, but they do not.

• "The worst case regarding high-severity CVEs is the Linksys WRT54GL powered by the oldest kernel found in our study," the report notes. "There are 579 high-severity CVEs affecting this product."

see the link above for details

What can I Do?

First, the manufacturer of your existing device has no motivation to provide updates — they already have your money and anything they do just leads to expenses.

Look at the networking options and growth today — 5G is growing and expected to be a big improvement, albeit IMO, few of us will benefit from it. The equipment however is where change many be expected.

SO IMO, our choices amount to:

• do nothing, save the cash and HOPE our antivirus will be effective. This assumes we understand the difference between reactive vs proactive scanning.

• change our routers from whatever we have to a top-of-the-line vender listed in the article. I call this voting with your pocket book. As usage of specific models go down, the venders will get the message that they need to make improvements.

• go shopping for the latest routers which support 802.11ac/ax/ad.
11ac is the 5G compat 11n
11ax is the lower frequency portion of WiFi6 with the greatest range
11ad is the upper range of WiFi6 and has the greatest speed and poorest range

[edit]
This post is my personal opinion and not related to Techspot.com in any manner whatsoever. Neither have I been paid for any comment on this site at any time
[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a solicitation -- just a simple FYI; This is what I did.

I purchased: Netgear R6080-100 NAS
Last Firmware: 1.0.0.42​
802.11ac Dual Band​
Dual Band 2.4GHz & 5GHz
AC1000 WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac)​
IEEEÆ 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz​
IEEEÆ 802.11 a/n/ac 5.0GHz​
8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM​

Last edited by a moderator:
Back