YouTube Music will soon let you upload your own tunes

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Google has published a support document outlining how to upload your personal music collection to your YouTube Music library. The functionality doesn’t seem to be active yet but the existence of the document alone suggests the switch could be flipped sooner rather than later.

There are two ways to add music to your account. From your computer, you can simply drag and drop compatible files onto the web player. Optionally, you can click your profile picture and select “upload music.” A progress bar will confirm the upload is taking place and when complete, you’ll get a confirmation message.

Uploads are only possible from a computer and cannot be completed through the YouTube Music mobile app.

Supported file types include MP3, M4A, FLAC, OGG and WMA. Duplicate copies of songs will be removed automatically, we’re told.

Google notes that it could take some time for uploads to show up in your library, even after they have been successfully uploaded. The search giant further highlights the fact that music uploads will not influence your recommendations in YouTube Music and only you will have access to the tracks you upload.

To manage your collection of uploaded tunes, head to library -> songs -> uploads or library -> albums -> uploads.

Google Play Music, as you may know, is on the way out and will eventually be replaced by YouTube Music. The search giant even said it will provide a way to transfer music from one service to the other when the time comes. It’s not happening right this moment, but change is indeed coming.

Permalink to story.

Ok, as long as they provide transfer tools, I'm good lol. Got over 1200+ tunes and I ain't trying to download all of them again.

I wonder if they will scan what users upload to see if the files match files on torrents?

Asking for a friend.

My tunes stay with me. I wonder about folk in the great outdoors listening to anything other then their surroundings

I wonder if they will scan what users upload to see if the files match files on torrents?

Asking for a friend.

Sure they could but there's no guarantee they will be finding people who actually pirated the music.

The best way to "scan" a file is to generate a hash and compare that to the original. If the files are the same the hash will be the same. The problem lies with the fact that users who purchase and rip music to their HDD don't have the original, they have a ripped copy. Even if we assume that they are using FLAC (a lossless format), the data is still compressed and the container has changed, meaning the hash will change. Of course, there will be dozens of different outputs of the same song simply because users will select different containers, bit rates, ect when ripping their music.

Those who are putting up pirated copies are likely using the same methods. After all, they are ripping the music just like everyone else. In turn, this means the resulting hashes will be exactly the same as anyone else ripping music using the same encoder settings. In this case there is no way to determine for sure whether a song is a pirated copy or not.

Now what they can catch is pirated songs that have the ripper's creds in the metadata. For example if you see "MusicWarez" in the author metadata and there are many other people with the same file, that's likely a pirated copy. Changes to metadata, as they are stored in the file, also change the hash. Mind you, it is not hard to remove metadata from a file but a majority of people are completely unaware of it.

Are they saying they now WANT me to upload the pir*ted music I used to upload so they can complain about it more?

GoogleTubes sounds like fun!

Mind you, it is not hard to remove metadata from a file but a majority of people are completely unaware of it.

You might be suprised how scripty fast metadata can be removed..

You might be suprised how scripty fast metadata can be removed..

Just watch out for MP4 on windows. Window's metadata handler for that format is screwed up and will corrupt files when you remove their metadata. I've lost more then a handful of videos this way. Icaros shell extensions fixes it thankfully. I don't want to convert old videos and loose quality.

Back