YouTube now letting anyone monetize their videos through AdSense

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube has announced that effective immediately, anyone can start making money using the video-sharing website. The “partner” program that previously allowed a select few to monetize their videos has opened its doors to the general public, granted you meet a few basic criteria.

The program allows users to infuse their videos with Google ads from the AdSense program and retain 55 percent of the revenue earned from each video. The changes are going into effect today for the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States.

To get started, you need to enable the feature on your account and successfully monetize at least one video. You will additionally need to associate an AdSense account with your YouTube account. Payments will be processed and paid through the AdSense program once you reach your local payment threshold. Note that custom thumbnails and banners aren’t initially available for newly-made partners but will be enabled over time.

So, what exactly does this mean for the average person? We suspect there will be a huge influx of ad-infused videos while only a few people with extremely successful videos will make enough money for the deal to be worth their while. Odds are, however, that most with a popular channel are already generating an extra income stream using the partner service.

Permalink to story.

I hope Google knows what they are doing. I don't want to look at advertisements every time i open a video. If it gets too ugly i will have to start looking elsewhere and hope that it gets popular.

Littleczr said:
I hope Google knows what they are doing. I don't want to look at advertisements every time i open a video. If i gets to ugly i will have to start looking elsewhere and hope that it gets popular.

There is a thing called AdBlock. If that does not work there are other works arounds.

artix said:
Littleczr said:
I hope Google knows what they are doing. I don't want to look at advertisements every time i open a video. If i gets to ugly i will have to start looking elsewhere and hope that it gets popular.

There is a thing called AdBlock. If that does not work there are other works arounds.

Thank you. Trying it out right now :)

Littleczr said:
artix said:
Littleczr said:

Thank you. Trying it out right now :)

If AdBlock won't work just stroll through Google and see what you can find ;) I am happy to have the ads, gives more revenue for the little guy ^^

Hey think of it this way. Now the avaerage person has a chance to earn some extra cash. Might not be much but in this economy every bit helps. So keep your phone or video camera handy and follow your pets and kids. If it goes viral you could make some extra bucks......and who doesnt want extra money?

Interesting....I've noticed this myself when checking my video.

Would try the option but I'm sure I'd get bsed by copyright or something :/

NTAPRO said:
Interesting....I've noticed this myself when checking my video.

Would try the option but I'm sure I'd get bsed by copyright or something :/

More then likely this will happen when you try to profit from music or video content which is copyrighted. For example a music video, although Id understand that but many use music over top of their montages, commentaries or some other forms of entertainment to make it rather appealing. So it would suck if you had to take down or other because you have X seconds/minutes of "copyrighted" music playing in the background ...

@Artix

Now that may not be a bad thing in general. If you post that it is copyrighted and display the appropriate names, the ppl who own the copyrighted material can just take a portion of what you make on it useing their material. Seems like it would make everyone a winner that way. The "artist" who created the protected product would still get their share and the person useing the material would get paid as well.

I created a YouTube account a couple weeks ago and uploaded a couple videos. Do I still need to wait to get an email inviting me to monetize? I can't find any way to monetize my videos. I can do it on my other YouTube accounts.

Back