YouTube to produce its first-ever Super Bowl halftime show

Shawn Knight

Staff member

youtube super bowl nfl football katy perry super bow xlix halftime show super bowl halftime show seattle seahawks new england patriots

The Super Bowl is one of those rare sporting events that manage to bring the entire country together for a fun-filled evening. Football fans are often treated to a great game on the gridiron while casual viewers are typically more interested in the commercials and halftime performance.

This year, pop superstar Katy Perry will headline the halftime show along with rocker Lenny Kravitz. It’s a combination that certainly won’t appeal to everyone which is exactly what YouTube is hoping for.

The Google-owned video sharing platform is producing its own Super Bowl halftime show that’ll feature some of the site’s most popular stars performing stunts, musical acts and even fake Super Bowl ads. The event, to be filmed at the YouTube Space in Los Angeles, will be hosted by Harley Morenstein of Epic Meal Time fame. 

youtube super bowl nfl football katy perry super bow xlix halftime show super bowl halftime show seattle seahawks new england patriots

In total, the event is said to feature over 20 top creators and musicians that have a combined subscriber count of more than 60 million. Viewers can expect to see Rhett and Link, Freddie Wong and Toby Turner, just to name a few.

Suzie Reider, managing director of brand solutions at Google, said it’s a really good place to showcase their celebrities, talent and creators. She added that it’ll be fun to see how the numbers compare against Perry and Kravitz.

The Super Bowl is the one time of the year that people are actually interested in watching commercials. At roughly $4.5 million for a 30-second spot, advertisers pull out all the stops, reserving their best content for these coveted slots.

Permalink to story.

Hmm, so instead of watching TV commercials we're to flip to Youtube and watch those commercials instead? In a sad way that actually sounds better. Katy Perry is a cutie, and nice to look at, but I can't think of any of her music that I own or must hear during a sports half-time show.

Hmm, so instead of watching TV commercials we're to flip to Youtube and watch those commercials instead? In a sad way that actually sounds better. Katy Perry is a cutie, and nice to look at, but I can't think of any of her music that I own or must hear during a sports half-time show.

Seahawks fans will be skipping both halftime shows. Instead, they will be frantically searching their DVRs for evidence of Patriots shenanigans during the first two quarters.

Back