YouTube

GNS1310

Trying to watch videos on YouTube in Chrome, rarely they play fine, usually they don't even begin to load. I try them in Firefox, sometimes they play fine, sometimes they don't bother to load at all. I just tried one that didn't play at all in Chrome or FireFox and it loaded and played fine in IE (64-bit) (I don't remeber the last time I used IE for anything!)

I did a re-install of Chrome yesterday that didn't help at all.

I love watching vids on YouTube, I have a fast computer (i7 950, 3.07GHz, 6GB ram) with a decent internet connection (25-30mbps in the middle of the afternoon) and the videos I play (when they play) take forever to load as well. I've used Chrome extensions (Youtube options and Magic Youtube) to speed them up, video flash setting are set to unlimited, and it's still slow as heck.

I had two versions of Flash running, I disabled the older one...I think it was causing crashes. I also have Java turned off (I see there's a security update for Java, is it safe to run again?)

Anyone have some tips or tricks to enjoy YouTube again?

Loading speed issues are probably due to YouTube itself. I have a 100mbps connection and sometimes have to wait 2 or 3 minutes just to load short clips (3-4 minutes) at a relatively low resolution (420p).

However, videos not playing are probably due to your having Java turned off. Most websites that stream video do so utilizing Java to a greater or lesser extent and YouTube is no exception. If you are worried about having Java enabled during normal browsing, you can simply whitelist youtube.com in Chrome's preferences. In any event, enabling Java will likely solve your main problem.

Loading speed issues are probably due to YouTube itself. I have a 100mbps connection and sometimes have to wait 2 or 3 minutes just to load short clips (3-4 minutes) at a relatively low resolution (420p).

However, videos not playing are probably due to your having Java turned off. Most websites that stream video do so utilizing Java to a greater or lesser extent and YouTube is no exception. If you are worried about having Java enabled during normal browsing, you can simply whitelist youtube.com in Chrome's preferences. In any event, enabling Java will likely solve your main problem.
Java has little if anything to do with it. I don't have ANY java on my W7 & I watch youtube videos everyday.

Java has little if anything to do with it. I don't have ANY java on my W7 & I watch youtube videos everyday.

If I turn off Java script in Firefox or Chrome, YT will not load videos. Unless there's another factor I'm unaware of, that's a pretty significant influence.

If I turn off Java script in Firefox or Chrome, YT will not load videos. Unless there's another factor I'm unaware of, that's a pretty significant influence.
There is a difference between java script & java. Leave Java Script on. You can uninstall java.

I have issues on my 15 mbps download speed. I thought it was my ISP (FiOS), but now I am second guessing that. Sometimes videos load perfectly, on other days, not so much.

Hi, Just checked a few details on my 6 year old Dell 5150.
Connection= 1544k bits/sec. Tried Youtube through Windows 8 32 bit, testing 3 browsers;-
I.E 10, (plays ok), also Firefox 20.0.1 (plays ok) and Apple Safari 5.1.7 (plays ok.)
I have Java 7 update 21 installed, also Adobe Flash player 11.
(I used the same video file each time ,Windows 8 commercial "Everything at once")
No delays, no buffering & full screen.
My video card is not the original Dell, but a 2007 ATI Radeon x1650, not much by today's standards. Also have 3GB RAM. CPU= 3.2 P4. Hope that helps.
Win8_youtube.jpg

Dudes, I have 1 meg DSL. If I want to watch a YouTube video, I have to download it first, then let WMP do its thing.

I'm still wishing the OP would give a link or two. I've had no problem playing any video on youtube with the only exception being if its not available in my country (U.S.A). I use Opera,SeaMonkey,Google Chrome & Firefox. Where are you at OP??

Hi all, For video playback problems; the Microsoft knowledge base has a lot of info, regarding Silverlight/Java plug-in/Adobe Flash, so might be worth 5 minutes reading that;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532294
I listed what I have, a few post up, I get no video playback problems at all, as long as I don't try to watch above 360p. If I try 720p in Youtube I do get some delays, but I get a maximum of 1600 kbps on a good day, so it's not surprising.
(I just did a line speed check, 5 May 2013.)
netspeed5may2013.jpg

Just back from Vaca and getting the same issues. Will look into that article but here are some examples of what's happening...
Doesn't play. Actually, every video I've clicked on so far today won't play, or I get the 'error occured' snowy screen. It actually loaded and played perfectly fine when I pasted it here...but doesn't do anything on YouTube!
Here are a couple pics, one from Chrome (and yes, I've shut off all extensions and whatnot) and one from Firefox...although I just noticed the FF browser opens in a private window for some reason.
Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.jpg

On the Chrome screen I get no vid and the left side should be my subscriptions (I think) and nothing loads there.
On the FF screen nothing is loading at all basically.

Just back from Vaca and getting the same issues. Will look into that article but here are some examples of what's happening...
Doesn't play. Actually, every video I've clicked on so far today won't play, or I get the 'error occured' snowy screen. It actually loaded and played perfectly fine when I pasted it here...but doesn't do anything on YouTube!
Here are a couple pics, one from Chrome (and yes, I've shut off all extensions and whatnot) and one from Firefox...although I just noticed the FF browser opens in a private window for some reason.
View attachment 75992View attachment 75993

On the Chrome screen I get no vid and the left side should be my subscriptions (I think) and nothing loads there.
On the FF screen nothing is loading at all basically.
The Legenda of Zelda video plays fine in my browsers, Opera,Google Chrome,SeaMonkey & FF.

...[ ].....although I just noticed the FF browser opens in a private window for some reason....[ ]....
Go to the menu bar Click on "Tools", Then click "Options" in the drop down, Then click on the "Privacy" tab. If you don't want private browsing then uncheck it. You might need to enable 3rd party cookies for some things to work.

With the new FF 20. I think you can open a new privacy window, without having privacy mode set in general. That would be a right click option on either a tab or a link.

Back