YouTube's updated hate speech policies are proving effective

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Automated technology is becoming an increasingly effective tool for flagging potentially harmful content for review by one of Google’s more than 10,000 human content reviewers, often times before it has much time to generate a substantial number of views. YouTube said the nearly 30,000 videos removed for hate speech over the last month generated just three percent of the views that knitting videos did over the same period.

YouTube in June updated its hate speech policy, a fundamental shift that was many months in the making. The effort to create and enforce the policy update is already having a profound impact as evident by the numbers revealed in YouTube’s latest community guidelines enforcement report.

YouTube said it removed more than 100,000 videos and over 17,000 channels for violating its hate speech policies in Q2. That’s five times as many videos and channels removed compared to the first quarter.

The video sharing giant also deleted more than 500 million harmful comments, nearly twice as many versus efforts in Q1.

YouTube conceded that the spikes in removal numbers are due in part to the deletion of older videos, channels and comments that were previously permitted. This means we probably won’t get an accurate representation of how effective the new policies are until all of the legacy content is purged from the system. Who knows how long that could take, or if the effort of looking at older content has already wrapped up.

If the latter is the case, we should have a much clearer view come next quarter.

A progress report on the effectiveness of YouTube’s harassment policy update is coming in the next few months, we’re told.

Masthead credit: Hate keyboard by Lukasz Stefanski. YouTube template by Artem Mashchenko

Permalink to story.

Of course it's a "never-ending battle". How can one battle something that never existed to begin with?

Speech is speech, just like a crime is a crime. The motives behind is are not the thing itself. Motive is an ELEMENT of a crime, just as it's an ELEMENT of speech. But the thing is not just its parts, it's a combination of elements.

That's like saying "the force of gravity". Gravity isn't a force, it's an acceleration. The force happens upon impact, nowhere else. F=ma. Until then it's just an acceleration.

“YouTube said it removed more than 100,000 videos and over 17,000 channels for violating its hate speech policies in Q2. That’s five times as many videos and channels removed compared to the first quarter.”

Oh, they also removed fainted’s channel for no reason! :D

I thoroughly support Youtube, Facebook and Twitter for their new efforts to eliminate hate speech on their platforms. I hope they continue and I hope that all social media platforms expand their efforts. Hate speech should not be tolerated at all and their platforms should in no way be used to perpetuate racism, nationalism or violence.

Twitter and Facebook should also add a dislike button so that hateful rhetoric by hateful leaders can be challenged by their opponents.

Speech is speech, just like a crime is a crime.

I'm guessing they are referring to when speech galvanizes racists to attack people.

Hitler's "speeches" galvanized a nation to murder 6 million Jews and start a war that they couldn't win which cost millions their lives.

Ku Klux Klan "speeches" galvanized a nation to terrorize Black Americans.

The last thing we need is for these people who are so easily galvanized to be able to congregate on the internet - globally - and be able to coordinate violence.

The mere fact so many suicides, homicides, terrorist attacks and other violence can be traced back to unmoderated hate speech online tells us that something is seriously wrong.

It's about time they did something about this.

Speech is speech, just like a crime is a crime.

I'm guessing they are referring to when speech galvanizes racists to attack people.

Hitler's "speeches" galvanized a nation to murder 6 million Jews and start a war that they couldn't win which cost millions their lives.

Ku Klux Klan "speeches" galvanized a nation to terrorize Black Americans.

The last thing we need is for these people who are so easily galvanized to be able to congregate on the internet - globally - and be able to coordinate violence.

The mere fact so many suicides, homicides, terrorist attacks and other violence can be traced back to unmoderated hate speech online tells us that something is seriously wrong.

It's about time they did something about this.
If only it were so simple. Did you ever consider that the reason Hitler accomplished such mass murder is because one was not allowed to speak up against him in that country?

If only it were so simple. Did you ever consider that the reason Hitler accomplished such mass murder is because one was not allowed to speak up against him in that country?

WRONG

Hitler accomplished so much for the same reason Trump is president.

#1 he spread hate speech using the media
#2 he made people skeptical and cynical towards the opposition
#3 he got his followers to harass and KILL the opposition.

When you have state sanctioned media running interception for you, you can say anything.

“He doesn’t lie- he exaggerates and spins” - Stuart Varney

I thoroughly support Youtube, Facebook and Twitter for their new efforts to eliminate hate speech on their platforms. I hope they continue and I hope that all social media platforms expand their efforts. Hate speech should not be tolerated at all and their platforms should in no way be used to perpetuate racism, nationalism or violence.

Twitter and Facebook should also add a dislike button so that hateful rhetoric by hateful leaders can be challenged by their opponents.

Good luck with that. Most of the hate comes from the Left. LOL.

"Hate speech"...sigh...
I wonder if it will be one sided as always:
In USA:
-A man trying to put you in jail for not calling him a woman? Good
-Leftist journalists, youtubers, politicians and others trying explicitly, openly, in all ways, for a civil war, calling for street attacks on normal people, celebrating and calling for more when it happens, celebrating and sanctifying terrorist groups, telling people to arm themselves, calling for harassment of republican politicians, calling for the destruction of right wing business, celebrating any possible catastrophe if it could hurt those, childishly demonizing Trump without any limit to put fear on people, calling without any shame for extermitation/erradication of conservatives/right wingers/Trumps supporters, white people for being white (and non leftists not-white people for being "traitors"!!!!)...
Leftists see no problem at all with this. Insane cultist mentality.
I remember only 10 years ago we were talking about how insane some fringe creationists from some churchs were...ho ho ho...just look at today...

WRONG

When you have state sanctioned media running interception for you, you can say anything.

Here, I fixed that for you.

#1 the Left spreads hate speech using the media.
#2 the Left makes people skeptical and cynical towards the opposition.
#3 the Left gets its followers to harass and KILL the opposition.

"Hate speech"...sigh...
I wonder if it will be one sided as always:
In USA:
-A man trying to put you in jail for not calling him a woman? Good
-Leftist journalists, youtubers, politicians and others trying explicitly, openly, in all ways, for a civil war, calling for street attacks on normal people, celebrating and calling for more when it happens, celebrating and sanctifying terrorist groups, telling people to arm themselves, calling for harassment of republican politicians, calling for the destruction of right wing business, celebrating any possible catastrophe if it could hurt those, childishly demonizing Trump without any limit to put fear on people, calling without any shame for extermitation/erradication of conservatives/right wingers/Trumps supporters, white people for being white (and non leftists not-white people for being "traitors"!!!!)...
Leftists see no problem at all with this. Insane cultist mentality.
I remember only 10 years ago we were talking about how insane some fringe creationists from some churchs were...ho ho ho...just look at today...
Awww. Poor Moscow Mitch.

LOL

Over 95% of all tenured professors at the top 50 US liberal arts colleges are registered Democrats ( Leftists ).

Leftist speech galvanizes the many Leftist organizations - Antifa, BLM, SPLC, ADL, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, PBS, NY Times to name a few - to attack traditional values.

Most hate words were created by the Left. Words like racist, misogynist, chauvinist, anti-semite, hater, homophobe, bigot, terrorist, white man, white supremacist, white nationalist, Nazi, Fascist.

Leftism is characterized by intense dislike for traditional values. The Jacobins of the French Revolution were Leftists. The Marquis de Sade was a big leftist in the French Revolution. The Bolsheviks of the USSR were Leftists. Mao was a leftist. Pol Pot was a Leftist, Obama is a Leftist.

Hitler's speeches galvanized Germany to start a war against Stalinist USSR. Communism was regarded as the greatest threat to the world at the time. It was well known that Bolsheviks killed millions of ethnic Russians before WW2, intentionally obliterating the traditional Russian people, culture, history, religion and communities. Mao and Pol Pot did the same for China and Cambodia. Historians estimate Communism has caused over 150 million deaths - see R.J. Rummel.

Antifa was originally created in 1932 by the USSR as Communist street muscle for their foreign revolutionary efforts.

Ku Klux Klan was instrumental in maintaining order during the horrendous Reconstruction era. A chaotic time when a quarter of the 4 million freed blacks contracted serious diseases or died. Historians estimate that up to 200,000 blacks died of smallpox alone. It really makes you wonder if Lincoln wouldn't have been better off negotiating with the Confederacy, rather than obliterating the entire society.

Fifty percent of all US homicides are committed by young Black men.

Seventy percent of all US suicides are committed by White men.

Social violence is lowest during periods with strong traditional values. US violence was very low in the 1930's 40's and 50's, despite the presence of Jim Crow, total white male domination of society, mass gun ownership, and pervasive Christian values. Traditional values are obviously not a cause of social violence.

Violence increased dramatically with the growth of Leftism during the 1960s. That's when the Left introduced abortion, easy divorce, sexual permissiveness, drugs, miscegenation, etc. They also introduced civil rights legislation which legalized anti white male discrimination (affirmative action) and criminalized freedom of association. Leftists now want to ban any criticism of their agenda. They call such criticism 'hate speech'.

The quickest way to incite violence is to force your agenda onto others. That's exactly what the Left does.

Here, I fixed that for you.

#1 the Left spreads hate speech using the media.
#2 the Left makes people skeptical and cynical towards the opposition.
#3 the Left gets its followers to harass and KILL the opposition.

I'm glad to see ANTIFA showing up to rallies armed.

If the Ku Klux Klan and Neo Nazi wannabees can show up armed, Antifa needs to be there to keep the peace.

What did you think?

That the riech wingers could just show up to harass Pride parades and Civil Rights marches with their guns and intimidate people - and there'd be no pushback?

and the beautiful thing is: Antifa is majority White so the cops don't even try to touch em like they would the Black Panthers.

You can try to push that lie that the left is more violent, but after Dylan Roofe, Robert D. Bowers and Brenton Tarrant ...we are just gonna ignore it.

It's also very telling that you toss around the word "left" and "right" when in reality, political parties are incapable of violence. In correction: "racist whites" were behind the violence.

When the Democrats held the KKK it was racist Whites.

When Lee Atwater put together the Southern Strategy: Racist White Democrats became Racist White Republicans.

Either you don't know history or you're just trying to lie and push false narratives.

Trying to deflect to minority crime in racially segregated communities only weakens your case further.

Last edited:
Ku Klux Klan was instrumental in maintaining order during the horrendous Reconstruction era.
WOW! What a total load of :poop:

For your edification: https://www.history.com/topics/reconstruction/ku-klux-klan
Founded in 1865, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for blacks. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and black Republican leaders.
IMO, the rest of your post is specious at best, totally clueless at worst.

BS does not fly well here except to those who's BS detector is not functioning.

As I see it, it is you who is on the very edge of spreading hate; at a minimum, you are spreading a false narrative that is so far off the mark it would be laughable if it were not so egregiously racist.

Ku Klux Klan was instrumental in maintaining order during the horrendous Reconstruction era. A chaotic time when a quarter of the 4 million freed blacks contracted serious diseases or died. Historians estimate that up to 200,000 blacks died of smallpox alone. It really makes you wonder if Lincoln wouldn't have been better off negotiating with the Confederacy, rather than obliterating the entire society.

Revisionist history lies and BS like yours are the reason I can't support Social Media rebuke of you people enough.

The depth of the stupidity in this statement is so great I can only attribute it to Fox News or listening to Conservative Talk radio.

Revisionist history lies and BS like yours are the reason I can't support Social Media rebuke of you people enough.

The depth of the stupidity in this statement is so great I can only attribute it to Fox News or listening to Conservative Talk radio.

He made some good points. Youve been conditioned to react in such shock that your only rebuttal is that his comment was stupid and fox News is to blame. I don't whole heartedly agree with his post, but it wasn't stupid. As for myself, being a white male, I can say I try to be as good a person as I can and treat all people the same. I'm in a leadership role at a large company and I can tell you that there is constant pressure from above to bypass white male candidates in favor of females and or "minorities". If you support equality as I do, then you should support equality for all. We are always preached to about our equal employment opportunity policy and in almost the same breath told to look for candidates of minority status and or women to promote. I agree we should do that, but at what point does it become racist to over look a white male who has worked diligently for years and is honestly the best person we have in that department, in favor of another candidate based upon race and or gender? I believe that no one should be discriminated against because of their status, but there is a double standard out there. I just hope it fades away and there becomes true equality one day.

WOW! What a total load of :poop:

For your edification: https://www.history.com/topics/reconstruction/ku-klux-klan

IMO, the rest of your post is specious at best, totally clueless at worst.

BS does not fly well here except to those who's BS detector is not functioning.

As I see it, it is you who is on the very edge of spreading hate; at a minimum, you are spreading a false narrative that is so far off the mark it would be laughable if it were not so egregiously racist.

Thank You

Excellent post

Awww. Poor Moscow Mitch.
Talking about prejudice, assumptions, hate, lies and fallacies...
But is ok if you do it...!
And thanks for confirming what I said, especially with the irrational hate and clear immorality in your words.

WRONG

Tell me something. Who's more dangerous right now? Trump, or Antifa?

Back