Zoom partners with Oracle to buttress its cloud infrastructure as user base exceeds 300...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Video conferencing app maker Zoom has experienced exponential growth in the last few months. In December, the company had 10 million daily active users. By February, the count had ballooned to 200 million. As of March, Zoom has eclipsed all competition with over 300 million daily active users.

Update (4/30/20): Amazon Web Services (AWS) reached out to TechSpot to inform us that it has been and continues to provide cloud infrastructure services to Zoom. The Oracle contract was for additional support. In fact, Oracle joins both AWS and Microsoft Azure in delivering cloud infrastructure for the company.

Zoom's Chief Technology Officer Brendan Ittelson provided a statement [edited for length].

Ittelson indicated that as one of its customers, Oracle already had a working relationship with Zoom and offered to help. After testing the service, Zoom was pleased with the results, so it officially added Oracle as another cloud infrastructure provider.

We apologize for any confusion in the original reporting.

Zoom experienced a surge of scale for which it was not prepared, as evidenced by security issues that came with the enormous customer base. This growth also put tremendous pressure on its cloud infrastructure. It was unable to deal with its growing numbers alone. It needed a cloud service provider, and it got one.

Surprisingly, Zoom chose Oracle to help bolster its cloud-based needs. According to a February Synergy Research survey, Oracle is a "strong niche player" in the cloud provider market, but is far behind industry leaders Amazon, Microsoft, and Google. So it is somewhat unexpected that Zoom did not partner with a more prominent player. The move has analysts speculating the rationale for the move.

"I think Zoom went with Oracle because they are proven in the enterprise in terms of mission-critical apps built on Oracle databases running on Oracle hardware in the cloud," CRM Essentials analyst Brent Leary told TechCrunch. "Zoom needs to prove to enterprises that they are able to handle scale and data security needed to beyond what SMBs typically require."

There is also the possibility that Oracle outbid everyone else just to get telecommuting's fastest-growing superstar under its belt or that Zoom did not go with a potential rival. Amazon, Google, and Microsoft all have competing products, so it might make some sense not to have your competitor provide the infrastructure of your business. It's a pretty clear conflict of interest.

The partnership was foreshadowed somewhat by compliments Oracle's chairman Larry Ellison paid the company in a video earlier this month. Zoom has been Oracle's go-to video conferencing app during the economic shutdown, and he indicated the company would continue using Zoom even after returning to normal business operations.

"Zoom has become an essential service for Oracle," said Ellison. "The way we work will never again be the same. We will now meet, not just face-to-face — we'll meet sometimes face-to-face and sometimes digitally via Zoom."

So maybe Zoom was simply flattered by the compliment. Regardless, despite being a smaller provider in the industry, Oracle should relieve some of the pressure that Zoom has been feeling since going from bit player to top dog in the telecommuting market in the span of just over three months.

To put it in perspective, Microsoft bragged last November about holding the lion's share of the market with 20 million active daily users. It now has 44 million. Zoom came along and said, "Oh yeah. Hold my beer."

Permalink to story.

Anyone know why Zoom picked up all the market share vs say Skype, Google, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc? Those are the ones I've been using for years but never heard of or had a meeting on Zoom until recently. Maybe it's more consumer focused?

Skype is crap, Go-to meeting feels like it's from the early 2000's, WebEx is horrible. Zoom is super easy to use compared to the rest. Even my nan was able to use Zoom. My nan struggles to find the power button on her laptop.

Anyone know why Zoom picked up all the market share vs say Skype, Google, GoToMeeting, WebEx, etc? Those are the ones I've been using for years but never heard of or had a meeting on Zoom until recently. Maybe it's more consumer focused?
It's more business focused. It's easy to set conference calls with your team and business partners and you have ok tools for presentations (like sharing a screen or application). You can also connect from any device.The biggest feature Zoom has is how easy it is to get someone to run it even with no IT training.

There are very few such applications that are simple with all-in-one features. Teams and Slack are the only true competition they have, but they're better suited for teams rather than setting up business calls.

I still think Jitsi Meet is easier than Zoom. No software to download and no account required. Still allows for full encryption, document collab, chat, and HD video with no time limits.

There are very few such applications that are simple with all-in-one features. Teams and Slack are the only true competition they have, but they're better suited for teams rather than setting up business calls.

Our org uses all 3 of these. Zoom for videoconf, Slack for messaging, Teams for collab. Our small team did the evaluation of webconf apps a couple of years ago and it was clear then that Zoom was the easiest for everyone to use, provided the best support, and was easy to add to a managed environment.

Our org uses all 3 of these. Zoom for videoconf, Slack for messaging, Teams for collab. Our small team did the evaluation of webconf apps a couple of years ago and it was clear then that Zoom was the easiest for everyone to use, provided the best support, and was easy to add to a managed environment.
That's about what I would expect, although I'm not sure if you really need all 3.

Yeah, we were using Teams for messaging beforehand but a vocal minority (UNIX/Linux users IIRC) said they wouldn't/couldn't use Teams and already were using Slack for messaging, so the whole org switched to Slack so everyone could use the same system.

Pretty much every time I have opened Skype, it has asked for an update. It gets so many upgrades yet remains so painful to use. Why does a business meeting need a different client than consumer client? It just gets more and more frustrating to use.

Back