It's lightweight, open source software, and free for anyone to use. And it just works.
How it works
Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.
This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device's location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it.
100% geolocation aware
Prey uses either the device's GPS or the nearest WiFi hotspots to triangulate and grab a fix on its location. It's shockingly accurate.
Know your enemy
Take a picture of the thief with your laptop's webcam so you know what he looks like and where he's hiding. Powerful evidence.
No unauthorized access
Fully lock down your PC, making it unusable unless a specific password is entered. The guy won't be able to do a thing!
If enabled, Prey will attempt to hook onto to the nearest open WiFi hotspot when no Internet connection is found.
Watch their movements
Grab a screenshot of the active session * if you're lucky you may catch the guy logged into his email or Facebook account!
Scan your hardware
Get a complete list of your PC's CPU, motherboard, RAM, and BIOS information. Works great when used with Active Mode.
Light as a feather
Prey has very few dependencies and doesn't even leave a memory footprint until activated. We care as much as you do.
Keep your data safe
Hide your Outlook or Thunderbird data and optionally remove your stored passwords, so no one will be able to look into your stuff.
Full auto updater
Prey can check its current version and automagically fetch and update itself, so you don't need to manually reinstall each time.
The new remote installation link method comes to help remote device managers deploy Prey faster, and more effectively in fleets without prior preparation.
- Delete files local files from Google Drive and Dropbox #258
- Fix 502 status code client freeze #262
- Copyright update to 2017 #263
- Storage tables initialisation fix #266
- Request timeout added for 406 status code on overdue accounts 269
- Secure wipe integration #270
- New host for prey node client download #272
- Resume files fix in Fileretrieval when the connection is lost #273
- New Lock bin fixing sticky keys and taskbar bypasses #274
- Signup mail characters change #275
- Linux wipe chile process fix #276