Advantages over the Playstation 2 console
- Custom resolutions, up to 4096x4096, Anti Aliasing and Texture filtering to make your old PS2 games look better than their HD remakes!
- Unlimited memory cards
- Save states, enabling you to quick save and load practically anywhere in your game
- Easy cheating using our pnach patching system
- Use any controller (PS3,Xbox360 etc) that works on Windows, keyboards and mice
- Increase or decrease the game speed by using the built-in frame-limiter for fast grinding or passing hard spots by slowing them down
- Ability to record in full HD with the built-in video recorder (F12 using the GSdx plugin)
So how do I use it?
- Download the version suited for you from our Downloads Section (for beginners, the full installer of the latest stable release is recommended)
- Get the BIOS file from your Playstation 2 console. This is not included with PCSX2 since it is a Sony copyright so you have to get it from your console. Visit the tools section to find out how to do this.
- Configure PCSX2. For beginners the Configuration Guide video and the Quick Start configuration guide should help you. For a detailed description of every single option you can always refer to the full guide.
- Insert your PS2 game CD/DVD in your DVD rom. You can either run it directly from the disc or create an ISO image of your disc with a program like IMGburn for faster reads.
This section covers games which went from not rendering anything to being playable, these issues are the most straight forward to fix, we debug these issues by monitoring all the abnormal activities occurring in the core leading to the game to crash and a solution is worked on to correct that behavior.
Preliminary PSX support has been added! Go try them out yourself, though do note that the PSX backward compatibility is still in its infant state and needs lots of work to be done before it reaches a perfect state.
Dropship United Peace Force went from not being able to get into main menu to being playable!
As it turns out, our VU branching subroutines had a longstanding bug which failed to account for a branch delay slot inside of another branch delay slot (this is as stupid as it sounds). In other words, the branch was being read as a NOP and got stuck running the wrong code until the game would crash. Never underestimate PS2 developers. If you think they won't do something that's forbidden in the manual, you're dead wrong.
All of the World Rally championship (with the exception of WRC 4 which needs a patch - get it here) games are now playable!
This was fixed by properly handling branches in delay slots, the old behavior wasn't addressing this properly and the new behavior was shown to be accurate to the original hardware through tests ran from the EE PS2 testsuite.
Games which relied on game specific patches/hacks no longer need them anymore to boot!
Due to series of improvements in our core functions and recompilers, games like Jak X, Spongebob the Movie, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom,The Incredibles, The Incredibles Rise of the Underminer, Soukou Kihei Armodyne, Garfield Saving Arlene, Tales of Fandom Vol. 2 are now playable without requiring the usage of any hacks or game specific patches.
This might not come of as a surprise to most users since these games were still playable in the older versions through the use of game specific patches, but handling this accurately would mean there are no potential side effects from the game specific patches and it brings us one step closer to the goal of emulation accuracy, which we strive to improve.
Graphics Synthesizer bug fixes
This section covers games which received an improvement in visual accuracy, these issues are mostly hard to debug due to the abnormal way of how the Graphics synthesizer handles most functions and the lack of any proper documentation regarding them, our GS developers however always try their best to fix them!
GSdx: Implementation of fixed TEX0 context for all renderers
Fixes texture corruption in games like Lupin: The Third and James Bond 007 Nightfire.
Read the entire changelog here.
Software similar to PCSX2 4
Multiple arcade machine emulator.
Highly experimental software to emulate Wii U applications on PC.
The RPCS3 is dubbed one of the most complex video game console emulators of all time with an endless goal to effectively emulate the Sony PlayStation 3 and all of its aspects.