VisionTek might have been more well known for their graphic cards and memory products over the past few years, but recently they have been making more and more headway into solid state storage options.
Today we are covering their VisionTek USB Pocket SSD 120GB drive which works across Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems and can be used for basic files, games and even the option of a portable operating system.
- Controller: LSI SandForce 2281 Series with 7% Over Provisioning
- Capacity: 120GB (128GB total flash memory with 8GB dedicated to real-time redundancy and error correction)*
- Performance: up to 445MB/s read, up to 440MB/s write
- Random 4K Performance: up to 39,000 IOPS
- Interface Type: USB 3.0 (backward compatible to USB 2.0)
- Dimensions: 3.66" x 0.94" x 0.47"
- Weight: 2 ounces
- Compatibility: Windows XP and higher / Mac OS X 10.4 and higher/Linux**
- Warranty: 2 year
Upon taking the USB Pocket SSD out of the packaging, you would be forgiven for thinking that it is just the same as any other portable USB drive. However, this USB 3.0 drives can deliver up to 455MB/s reads and up to 440MB/s writes depending on a variety of settings and what you use the drive for.
If there is one thing we can say about the VisionTek USB Pocket SSD right from the get go, it isn’t a looker. If you value looks over performance then you need to look elsewhere. This is a very rugged black design. We have dropped it a few times, scuffed it and been a bit rough, but there is barely a mark on our review device and it works just as well as it did from the start.