A new Star Wars gaming is coming in the near future from Respawn Entertainment, the developer that created popular multiplayer shooter Titanfall. Like with Titanfall, EA will be publishing this untitled game, with God of War's Stig Asmussen serving as the game's director.
The announcement that Respawn is working on a Star Wars game seems to have come very early in the development cycle. Little is known about what this game will involve, although Respawn did say it will be a 3rd-person action adventure title.
In the blog post announcing the game, Asmussen said that "we promise to pay respect to the Star Wars legacy at all times, a fact that will be constantly reinforced and honored as a central game design tenet." Hopefully this means Respawn will steer well clear of what made The Force Unleashed II so mediocre.
There is no word on when this Star Wars game will be launching, although it's one of several Star Wars games being worked on by partners of EA. Here's a quick refresher on what we can expect:
- DICE, developer of Star Wars Battlefront, is continuing to work on Star Wars games
- BioWare, known for Mass Effect and Star Wars: The Old Republic, has an unannounced project in the works
- Visceral Games, developer of Dead Space and Battlefield: Hardline, is working with new EA developer Motive Studios on a presumably action-adventure Star Wars title
- Capital Games, which specialize in mobile games like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, has new projects in the work
- Respawn Entertainment is creating a third-person action adventure Star Wars game
Along with new films scheduled every year, there is a lot in store for fans of Star Wars over the next few years.