December 31 will mark the 20th anniversary of Diablo, the acclaimed action role-playing hack and slash game from Blizzard. To celebrate the occasion, Blizzard will soon be kicking off a series of in-game events across multiple titles to pay homage to one of its most beloved franchises.
In Diablo III, Blizzard will host a special tribute event dubbed The Darkening of Tristram in which players can venture through a reimagined version of the original game’s cathedral and pick up some “familiar” items along the way.
Nearly a half dozen other Blizzard games will also receive Diablo-themed content in some shape or fashion as outlined below:
- Heroes of the Storm: The battle for the High Heavens continues, and a new Diablo-themed portrait is up for grabs! Can you emerge victorious on this hectic new brawl map?
- Hearthstone: In this Tavern Brawl, a hooded stranger awaits, holding a grim deck in his hands. Will you unravel the secrets surrounding this dark wanderer?
- Overwatch: Bring the battle for Sanctuary into the fight for the future with in-game sprays representing your favorite Diablo III classes—along with a new player icon modeled after the Lord of Terror!
- StarCraft II: Put the Lord of Terror to work for you with a Diablo-themed worker portrait.
- World of Warcraft: Strange things are afoot in the world of Azeroth as denizens of Sanctuary cross over into an unfamiliar world.
Oddly enough, Blizzard didn’t say exactly when the tribute events would begin nor do we know if they’ll run concurrently. All that was mentioned in the announcement was that events and items would only be available for a limited time.