AutoCad 2000 and Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

larswebb

I am considering Upgrading my work PC From Win98 to XP Pro. I have heard that AutoCad 2000 is not compatible with XP. Is that true?

Thanks,

Larry

You can install AutoCAD 2000 in any Windows version: in WinXP you may need
to use Windows Compatibility mode to complete the install.
R2000 also needs to be fully patched.
Then there is the MTEXT issue, but we won't dive into it here.

Otherwise, Autodesk does not support R2000 in anything higher than Win98se.
Microsoft is not going to do anything to support R2000.

Looks like you might have some trouble.

The AutoCad Cd I have is about 4yrs old, I doubt it has all the patches. Can I install and then download and install the patches? I found a site that has service paks and patches. (http://www.nu-waycorp.com/Downloads.htm). I have to be sure there will be no problems before I dive into this. I use AutoCad every day.

Larry

Compatibility mode is basically a' virtual machine'
XP can isolate your software and make it think it is on a 98 system (so to speak) If you can load the software ,you should have no trouble patching it .
Of course there are no garrantees .
If it doesn't work ,you could try a dual boot scenario on your machine.

Isn't compatibility mode for programs already on the computer? I was planning to do a format and clean install.

I've run AutoCAD 2000 on WinXP Pro before - and I didn't have to do anything special to make it work. All I had to do was make sure my environment variable PATH wasn't too long. Once that got too long I could no longer render anything that used sides in renders (anything that uses modeller.dll) If you try this I hope you have as good a luck as I did. I've since moved on to AutoCAD 2005 so the chances of me reinstalling 2000 are in the negatives.

BTW - I've never tried it with SP2 on - just SP1

larswebb said:
Isn't compatibility mode for programs already on the computer? I was planning to do a format and clean install.

No CMode is a program that allows some software to operate on an XP machine even though the software is designed for older versions of Windows .
You actually load the software with the help of CMode.
Check windows help files for instructions.

I installed AutoCad this morning and everything went well. I did need to use Cmode to intall it in Windows 95 mode but I can run it with XP.

Thanks again,

Larry

Do I need to close this thread?

No need to close it, this way if someone else has a similar question they can ask it, or look at your answers. I'm glad we got you all straightened away.
See ya around ;)

Did it work?

So you installed AutoCad 2000 on Windows XP without CMODE right? Did the installation work as normal or you did something different. I am about to do this installation for a friend who is currently using Windows 98. So he has bought new PC with XP.

larswebb said:
I installed AutoCad this morning and everything went well. I did need to use Cmode to intall it in Windows 95 mode but I can run it with XP.

Thanks again,

Larry

Do I need to close this thread?

This is what worked.

I've been trying to get AutoCAD 2000i to install on my XP box for ages now without any luck. Bugga . . . guess I'll just have to keep using the ME box.
Pity, was hoping to convert that one to Linux.

Installed it using Compatability Wizard

I initially ran into the same problem. ACAD2000 wouldn't install on XP. Started the compatability wizard and install went without a hitch.

AutoCad 2000 Install Error Windows XP

I wish to move AutoCAD 2000 from my old Win98 machine to the new computer with Windows XP Home SP2. I understand there might be compatibility problems with installing AutoCAD 2000 in Windows XP but other users seem to have success.

However I have tried the install using WinXP compatibility mode, but the setup application just gets started when I get the following error: _INS0432._MP Application Error. The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Does anyone understand this problem and can you suggest a fix or workaround? Thanks in advance for your response.
Paul

Dana-J

pmoat@optonline said:
I initially ran into the same problem. ACAD2000 wouldn't install on XP. Started the compatability wizard and install went without a hitch.
How do I access the compatibility wizard, so that I can install AutoCad2000 while using XP? :blush:

Compatibility Settings in Windows XP for AutoCAD 2000

I finally had success installing and running AutoCAD 2000 in Windows XP SP2 by using the following compatibility settings:

- Run program in compatibility mode for: Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)
- Disable Visual Themes
- Turn off advanced text services for this program

Good luck all

Dana-J

poertner_1274 said:
Start>> Allprograms>>Accessories>>Program Compatibility Wizard.

BTW
:wavw:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Thank you so much. I was able to get my software up and running!! :unch:

AutoCAD & Windows XP

I had trouble installing AutoCAD 2000 on my laptop with Windows XP. I followed the advise of our fellow members here and simply went to the windows compatability wizard (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Compatability Wizard) and within 5 minutes I was using AutoCAD 2000. Yes, it was that easy. Thanks Guys !!

Advance1

Hi, trying to get autocad 2000 on XP SP2. I've tryed all the stuff you've said here and nothing works. If I directly click ok the exe or use the compatibility manager, a DOS window is poped up for less than a second then closes (there is no text in the window), and thats it nothing else happens.

Hey mate,

I have autocard 2000 running on win xp pro, home and media centre edition. All of them work fine, although on my pro I did have to download some drivers.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back