Help! with continuous booting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if I can get some help...
Just went to Fry's today to pick up some parts to upgrade my current computer. Got:
ECS PT800CE-A motherboard
Intel 3.2 gHz Prescott CPU
Kingston 512 MB PC3200 DDR400 memory
Antec 350W power supply

Added the above to my system, with Gainward Ti4200 card

Reset the CMOS, then powered it up. The screen first shows the AGP card powering up, and then I get the screen for the memory testing. I can get through that, with the memory testing ok, and it says "intel 3.2mHz CPU with Hyperthreading technology detected." Unfortunately, from that point, it automatically rebooted back to the vga loading screen. It does this cycle endlessly. If I press <Del> during the memory check, it cancels the memory check, then skips directly to the reboot. I've tried disconnecting everything and pulling out all the nonessential cards, but it doesn't seem to change a thing. It doesn't look like the mobo is accessing the bios at all-no beeps, no accessing of the floppy drive. Anyone else run across this? Only thing I can think of is maybe a memory incompatibility?? But the memory test passed without problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You replaced your motherboard.

Are you using Windows NT/2000/XP? If so, this is why. You will need to run a repair install if this is the case.

Your memory and mobo aren't getting along. Fry's... well the one here in austin is notorious for selling incompatable components and crud. Why else would they have 12 return desks and a line of people always in queue? My 2 rules for shopping at Fry's (and I dew) are:

1. Research the items you want to buy b4 you go in the store. There's lots of good sites that will give you the skinny on hardware.

2. If it's on sale, don't buy it.

The Best Alias said:
Your memory and mobo aren't getting along. Fry's... well the one here in austin is notorious for selling incompatable components and crud. Why else would they have 12 return desks and a line of people always in queue? My 2 rules for shopping at Fry's (and I dew) are:

1. Research the items you want to buy b4 you go in the store. There's lots of good sites that will give you the skinny on hardware.

2. If it's on sale, don't buy it.

That's not entirely true. The first post is absolutely correct. Unless you bought a nearly identical motherboard, you'll need to reinstall your Windows XP or 2000 for sure.

You may not have format and reinstall Windows though (although certainly recommended). You can perform a system repair, which is explained here. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

As for the second post... Fry's Electronics DOES sell some pretty shady items made by tiny little asian hands in Indo-China. But even if you bought the cheap-o "sale memory", there is a very good chance it will work fine. Especially since your system actually boots up and shows POST.. etc.. So don't assume the memory isn't compatible or doesn't work until you see something else to prove otherwise. For a free memory test, you can visit www.memtest.org

Thanks for the pointers! Unfortunately, it doesn't even get to the stage where it scans the floppy drive/hard disk. It goes directly from the mem check to reboot...doesn't even report the IDE bus, doesn't try to load windows. More of the...checking memory...memory ok...CPU detected...reboot. Think this might be a BIOS/CMOS problem? There's not even a point where I can run a memory utility program. Thanks again...

Consult your manual and read about clearing your CMOS, this may do the trick, when you say you've "stripped" it down...

are we talking, merely a board, CPU, 1 stick of hopefully known good ram, the power switch (take the reset switch off and lights etc) power supply and graphics card?

I'd take the IDE and floppy cables off, also remove any case front panel things (USB + Firewire etc) too.

Give that a whirl and see it changes things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back