AGP aperture-size

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up to you, some say it should be as your vid cards memory, some say less etc, i saw no difference between having mine set at 64mb or 256mb, I have a radeon 9600 pro 256mb, just play around with it and see if you notice any improvment.

I read somewhere that the proper setting is half the amount of system ram. I have 1 GB of RAm but my board only allows up to 256 MB aperture.

As has been already stated it seems to have little effect whatever it is set!

I think I just leave that at default. You can run benchmarks (both canned tests and real games) at all the various setting and see what works best for you. I don't think it makes all that much difference.

No.

The AGP Aperature size should, ideally, be set to twice the VRAM of the card. So, if you have a 64mb AGP card, try setting it to 128. If you have a 128mb card, try setting it to 256.

This is less important in windows and more important in linux.

My understanding is that the AGP Aperture is used for graphics textures and is only used when your video card runs out of memory. You're using a 6600GT, so you must have either 128 or 256 on board. You also have 1Gig of Kingston. Quite frankly, you may as well set your Aperture as high as you can, coz it will hardly ever be accessed if you have 256 on your 6600GT, or if you've only got 128 on board, then "borrowing" 256 out of your 1Gig is gonna make sod all difference to the speed at which your system runs games anyway.

Happy Gaming.

I've got a BFG 6800 GT OC, and BFG suggests setting at half my boards memory, which in my case would be 128.

Cheers for the replies , ive tried setting it both 128 and 256 and to be honest theres little if any difference.

By the way my 6600gt is the 128 version , so ive just left it at 128

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back