Cannot install on SATA drive, F6 wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.
mailpup said:
This sounds like you are running the automated system recovery instead of a normal XP installation. During a normal XP installation you don't get this screen. Maybe I'm not familiar with XP Pro but something is not quite right.

What I meant is that when it comes up for the prompt for the F6 drivers and I press the button when it does come up it goes on to the next one. You can just throw the XP CD in and see. Just pull out the CD and hit F3 2 times. It will load some drivers then ask you for SCSI or RAID drivers via F6 then Recovery F2.

Okay but maybe I'm misunderstanding something about the procedure you are following to install Windows after you've set up the RAID array. You leave the CD in for the whole process until after you've configured Windows and it finally starts. If you hit F3 early in the process, you're exiting setup.

mailpup said:
Okay but maybe I'm misunderstanding something about the procedure you are following to install Windows after you've set up the RAID array. You leave the CD in for the whole process until after you've configured Windows and it finally starts. If you hit F3 early in the process, you're exiting setup.

Ok I will break it down a little easier. You've even lost me. Here is my process.

1. I setup RAID in the BIOS
2. I configure RAID using F10 for the kind of ARRAY and which drives.
3. I reboot and put in the XP installation CD
4. As the CD does it's think, it installs general drivers then starts the windows portion of the install. (this doesn't mean windows has started)
5. After it finishes with a few kernel file installs it comes up at the bottom of the screen "Press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers"
6.I press F6 (nothing happens)
7.The next thing that comes up after step 5 is done, is the "Press F2 to run recovery"

What I was trying to explain is that when I hit F6 nothing happens. (so we can assume that maybe the keyboard isn't working, fine) but when I try the keyboard (to see if it works) on the "Press F2 to start recovery" it will actually start the recovery process. That in turn, means the keyboard works.

When I mentioned pressing F3, that was for you to observe exactly as I have been telling you. TO see exactly what I'm talking about, follow these steps:

1. Put in XP installation CD
2. Reboot the PC
3. Motion like you are in fact going to reinstall the OS (don't worry you won't complete it or harm any files)
4. As it installs and says starting Windows you will come to the screen that says "Press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers"
5.If you press F6 where does it take you? If you don't press F6 what options come up next?
6. This is where you'll get the "Press F2 to start recover" or whatever the recovery option is.
7. After you get to see exactly what I'm talking about. Eject the CD, then press F3, then press F3 again, then press enter.
8. Remove the CD. The computer will reboot itself.
9. Your OS will startup as if nothing happened at all.

Magical,

Tah-dah. This should give you a good idea what I'm seeing.

Now I understand what's happening. I did at first but I got confused later in the thread. I'm back on track now.

But now I'm back where we started. I can't account for why pressing F6 even with a PS/2 keyboard doesn't do anything and if the keyboard works in the BIOS, why it doesn't with F6.

So basically, I haven't really helped you.

I just want to hear that someone else has had this issue. If worse comes to worse I just parse both HDD's and have OS on one and games on the other but I really was hoping to try RAID 0 (striping for the 15-25% inscrease). That and I'm bored.

Just wondering....

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone ever came up with a fix for this issue. I recently tried to installed xp on a friends PC and the same thing happened, F6 wouldn't work, tried the different keyboards, etc, tried changing the BIOS settings, but nothing. Would definately like to know if there is something new that was done that worked.

thanks

It is usually the keyboard at fault so people tend to use one of the older PS2 types to install an OS but I've never actually had to use F6 for drivers. I just config in the BIOS then go to the separate RAID utility (like the BIOS only it boots before the BIOS screen). So I am not sure why above needs drivers if its an onboard RAID facility. Windows then sees the drives as one drive. Plus I dont understand why you need to press F6 for the SATA drivers to install XP when it should be configurable in the BIOS to boot from the install CD and then the SATA drive only. XP should install as a matter of default on to the SATA drive. Its got nothing to do with the drivers.

I have the same problem with a new pc - F6 key will not work. I set up RAID in BIOS then load Windows XP Pro via DVD to install for first time - shortly after I get the F6 prompt. I have tried with PS/2 and USB keyboards. Other keys work to get to setup. This is a EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW motherboard.

I hope others who read this may present a viable solution,

Ron Fredericks

Could it be that on newer PC's since you can configure the raid array in the bios, Windows install never reacts to the F6 because there is no raid array visible to it? Remember, you always get that prompt, even if you only have an IDE channel. Also note MS has never changed the install procedures since, what, 2002? Would they anticipate that PC's with SATA,PATA,RAID, you name it, would soon just behave (hardware wise) like PC's always did.

I cannot really judge from the various posts if anybody has actually ignored the F6 option entirely and let the install get on with it. Do we still need special drivers in 2008?

For SATA drives and especially on newer motherboards you have to set SATA as NATIVE in the bios.. The exact wording of this setting will vary depending on your motherboard. In essence bios will recognize your SATA drives as if they were IDE's thereby not requiring any third party drivers. This applies to SATA only, there may be a similar setting for RAID depending on your mobo. I myself have setup RAID on new some new systems using an older Windows OS (server 2000) by pressing F6 using a ps2 keyboard and loaded the drivers from a USB floppy (should work from regular floppy as well). USB keyboard should work as well if enabled in the bios and it usually is by default.

FLock

FLock ? Anyone having issues with this make sure that your keyboard does not have a Flock key. Same concept as a NumLock key but locks your F row. Not all keyboards have this so if you have a newer keyboard it may be somthing your not used to. I scratched my head for an hour one day trying to figure out wtf the problem was when I couldnt set up a friends RAID array with F6 :) . Probably isnt the fix all answer but im sure it will help out somone scratchin their head.

FIX

Okay.

I was cursing at Microsoft and logitech for this stupid issue. After trying different keyboards to get it to work I found a solution.

I'm using a dell that doesn't have ps2 and i don't have any converters. This is what I did.

let windows do its thing and load into the beginning of the setup process. It then gives you an option to hit S to load additional support for hardware. Hit S and then load the drivers you need....this worked for me.

It's hugely annoying but at least it doesn't lock you out completely.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back