Sending a file to an other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty9231

Hi everyone..

I have a huge file, and I need to get it to an other PC without ext. HDD or anything. So I have a switch connected to both the Pc's (1Gb/s). But I can't figure out how to actually send any data. So if anyone knows how to, please let me know.

Marty

the switch is a 48-ports server switch, and the operating systems are (from) XP SP3 and (to) Vista Home Premium SP1

you may need to put both computers on the same workgroup name. Right click on my computer go to properties go to computer name tab click change and make up a workgroup name and reboot. After reboot right click on the folder you want to transfer and click share. Then go to other system and open my computer click on my network places on the left side of the window. Then click on view workgroup computers... you should see the computer you want to transfer files from

about 13,8 Gb... But isn't it just possible to create some sort of 'network', and send data from pc to pc?
(and they both already are in the same workgroup) And just to be clear, they are connected through normal UTP cables, one from pc to switch, and one from switch to other pc.

It's a normal ethernet cable... Shouldn't you just be able to connect the 2 pc's by 2 cables and a switch, and see each other in a local network or something?

yes, but like almost everything in life, there's no free lunch
with computers it's called Print/File Sharing in Windows and on everything
else it's NFS or Samba -- all of which need to be configured :)

your choice; If both systems are already browsing the Internet, I would
opt for File/Sharing -- but that's me :)

they are... Ok then, what would be the easiest and fastest way to do it with file/share? (if there are more than 1 ways ofcourse)
And by the way, the vista comp is not with me right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back