Outlook 2007 - increase mailbox size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This sounds like a really simple query and I really thought it would be easy to do, but its not.

I don't have enough emails to exceed the mailbox limit (30), so I am assuming that the limit must be very low. Is there any way of doing this without making all my current documents smaller/archiving/deleting them? There must be, I just don't know how.

Thanks. This is really annoying as I can't figure it out.

In Outlook 2003 and 2007, the default maximum size is 20 GB, as set in the registry; though unicode PSTs are supported up to 33TB. When interfacing with ANSI .pst files in Outlook 2003 and 2007, the 2 GB limit remains in effect.

Now I know that isn't in laymans, but I'm not understanding your question, as you can have way way more that 30 emails. Unless your Internet Service Provider, has put limits on your account.

kimsland said:
In Outlook 2003 and 2007, the default maximum size is 20 GB, as set in the registry; though unicode PSTs are supported up to 33TB. When interfacing with ANSI .pst files in Outlook 2003 and 2007, the 2 GB limit remains in effect.

Now I know that isn't in laymans, but I'm not understanding your question, as you can have way way more that 30 emails. Unless your Internet Service Provider, has put limits on your account.

Nope. The Internet Service Provider could not have put limits, because the old computer (which was a Mac, had a large capacity). I know that normally I would be able to have more than 30 emails, but my Outlook doesn't seem to think so. That's why I think that there must be some problem with the mailbox size. Although, yes, I agree, that first part, not laymans terms. Is there a way of me checking what the maximum size is? Perhaps this would clarify matters. I know how to 'check mailbox size' but this is not the same thing.

I'm not aware of any limit designated in Outlook settings (although there may be)
But I think your best option would be to backup Outlook (email and connection settings - including Pop3 and SMTP and username and password)

and then go to Control Panel - Add/Remove programs - Microsoft Office -
and click the "change" button
then fully remove Outlook
then restart
Go back to add/remove-MS Office-change
and fully re-install Outlook

Note: you may need your key, and definately the Office CD

At least then Outlook will be clean (obviously re-set up connection)

Also you can test the 30 email max, by sending 31 emails to yourself (name them Test)

Outlook and Outlook Express store mail boxes as ONE file each with all the emails
(and their attachments) one after the other (it knows the boundaries of each).
This has a practical limit then on the size of a mailbox == maximum size of any file
on the OS.

The KB Article shows how to set the PST size for Outlook.
(remember: ALL mailboxes for one user are in the same PST).

Some other Email Clients, store Email in separate files within the user defined Folders
which has some advantages.

I will reply to this next week. Problem seems to be kind of sorted now, although need to move everything from my inbox to a .pst
Little inconvenient that emails have to be moved EVERY time though. Will explain in next reply

I am going to try the PST suggestion. Someone sorted it out so that a new pst folder was created, but that means that we have to drag and drop from the inbox.

Will try your way and let you know (may take a while for the reply).

Thank you very very much though

you can export/archive specific content. I use this as a replication/backup of my calendar -- you could use it for email :)

be cautious here -- don't let the file grow too big or you will loose data.
the PST is not an endless BLOG to which you keep your email from 1914 onward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back