Problem With Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI EVERYONE, IM POSTING HERE CUZ I REALLY NEED SOME HELP.

I SET UP MY OWN COMPUTER WITH AN AMD ATHLONG 64 DUAL CORE 4400+ 1 GB RAM, 230 GB HDD AND DVD RAM , THE MOTHERBOARD IS A Biostar NF61S AM2 SE,now my problem. When i boot up the pc, it sometimes freezes on startup, and i have to hit the restart button. whe i do, i sometimes also get some rubish graphics on screen and the pc locks up. restart button again. and what do i get? a blinking white cursor on the top left of the screen dammit, restart again. when i do get past all that somehow, and y format the hdd in ntfs, i try installing windows and i get a blue screen dammit, all over again. What could be the problem? I personally think my motherboard is pretty messed up , i've tried aso many bios configs that i cant seem to know wht to try next.

Iwas thinking of installing winods witha smaller partition, say 20 gb partition and istall it there, but i dont think it's ahdd problem right?

PLEASE HELP ME, I REALLY REALLY WANT TOUSE MY BRAND NEW PC, THIS IS LIKE THE BEST PC I'LL EVER HAVE HAHAHA I PREVIOUSLY OWNED AN AMD K--6 2 500 MHZ LOL!

THANKS AND DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT HELPING ME!

Motherboards rarely fail. Try pulling all but one module of RAM out of your system. If it fails, pull that one out and try another. You might want to try getting your hands on another VPU or testing yours in another system.

THANKS AND DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT HELPING ME!
That's ok that's the point of the forum.

But the capitals are a concern (Note: capitals mean that you are shouting these words)

OK

yeah i know about the capitals, sorry, i've already tried putting another ram into it, to no no avail, i used another cpu to format my hard disk and no problem there, but i still cant boot it from my computer. I also tried remving the battery and same thing happens. One thing i've noticed though is that after 2 weeks or so without trying anything the computer became somewhat more stable, no blinking ursor, but nothing new.

Thanks for ur help, please keep helping me i'm desperate.

i'm using onboard. Now that i think about it, im gonna try running it with my old nvidia riva tnt2 pci 32mb see if it works. or shouldn't i?

What PSU,(make and Watts) are you using? You can read this off the label. see my sig pic below for example of spu label.

You need at least 350Watts of good clean power to run that, although I wouldn't run it under 450Watts.

hello again, i tried my old vieo card now, and the computer does not crash! but when i'm attempting to install windows, it gets stuck and has no response and have ti just restart again, then i switched back to onboard video and the computer kept on crashing as normal, same old blinking cursor and stuff restarted same thing happened like 10 times in a row, then i switched back again to my old video card and none of that happened. I thought maybe my cd drive was screwed up, tried with another one and the same thing happened.

What could it be? My old video card uses a pci slot, and its really old, (nvidia riva tnt2 32mb) could it be some hardware compatibility problem?

Please help me.

How far into the Windows installation process do you get?

Is your CPU's temperature okay in the BIOS?

If possible totally disable your onboard video in the BIOS.

i get upto the point before the partitions screen shows up, when its loading the files from the cd.

the temperature is ok, it doesnt get past 25º or so and i already disabled onboard video, i put it so the first display adapter is pci 8it has 3 choices, pci, pci- e and onboard)

I wouldn't suspect the CD drive. In my opinion it would either read a CD or it wouldn't, no in-betweens. Make sure your XP CD is in working condition.

Test both your HDD and RAM to be sure they aren't malfunctioning.

hey, it just came to my head, i'm gonna lof into my bios and take pictures of how everything is configured, so u can help me out ok?

Ok, here are the pics of the bios and my motherboard and also a blue screen :S

dsc02913jn1.jpg

dsc02914tn4.jpg

dsc02915sw3.jpg

dsc02916aa1.jpg

dsc02917vh3.jpg

IN THIS NEXT IMAGE... WHAT'S THAT "UPDATE NEW DATA TO DMI" MEAN?
dsc02918fl3.jpg

THE WINDOWS INSTALLATION ACTUALLY WORKED THIS TIME, BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS BLUE SCREEN POPED UP AND I HAD TO RESTART.
dsc02921jr9.jpg

THANKS FOR UR HELP.

PS2 MY MOTHERBOARD IS A BIOSTAR NF16S MICRO AM2 NVIDIA CHIPSET

Try flashing your BIOS to get rid of the "K8 NPT Data change… Update New Data to DMI!" message. Try to boot after and see what happens.

The only couple of things that I know of which bring about the "Disk Boot Failure" error (unless the "Update New Data to DMI!" is effecting the boot process), are:

1. The VBR can't find or load the system files or there was a problem loading them.
  2. During the boot process, the BIOS checks the last two bytes in the MBR (first sector of the drive) for a signature value of 55AAh. If the last two bytes are not 55AAh, an Interrupt 18h is invoked, which calls the subroutine that displays something along the lines of "Disk Boot Failure..." etc. So, ultimately this would suggest that your MBR is corrupt or non-existent.
  3. Your HDD has not yet been partitioned (which doesn't make sense if you've just installed an OS).

If you've managed to install the OS and are already getting stop errors, I would seriously suggest you test your HDD and RAM as I suggested above.

And load defaults in bios

Basically if bios defaults are loaded, nothing is over clocked, and the motherboard is working the way it should be. Any change to bios can cause issues.

If you decide to update the bios (currently stated: NF61S-M2A) then you should always backup the old one first (using the bios update program) that way, if all else fails you will (or should) be able to restart. (oh, and make sure USB connections are out)

Hi SYLAR__ sorry for the delay.
You need to go to your Motherboards (Biostar) support page
To download the bios update file, and also the Bios update program (2 things)

There are also information on TechSpot about Bios updating (doing a search here)
If you have never completed a bios update before, be aware that this is critical. Many users (even experienced users) have killed their M/b from doing it. ie it's critical!

As I stated, do bios defaults first. And if you decide to continue with bios updating. Please read all information (at Biostar support) first.

I don't actually recommend it for novice users.

yeah i have applied default lots of times. I dont know if this is normal but in the bios setup, the first option, where it lists the devices connected (like hd's and cd drives etc.) It states that the ide master 1 is my hard disk, which is actually a sata hd. so i dont know why it states that it's ide ... or is that just normal? could it be that my Mb has trouble with my hd and therefore it cannot allocate memory properly or something? what can i do to fix that if that's the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back