Unknown Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

craZy18gurl

My computer has restarted on its own a couple times before and in a different thread with the help of kimsland I discovered it had something to do with the Network. I thought I had the problem fixed but just a couple minutes ago it restarted again. When I checked the error report, it gave these two files;

C:\DOCUME~1\Zainab\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6c9f.dir00\Mini111708-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Zainab\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6c9f.dir00\sysdata.xml

My computer is on a shared network. My LAN driver is up to date and I made sure the main server, which is my dads computer, is running fine with no viruses or anything like that.

So what could be causing my computer to restart?

Um, I don't think so. Its the same file that showed last time and kimsland identified it as something to do with the network.

Have you turned off Automatic Restarts in System, Advanced. One reference is to a minidump. This is a file that you have to post for us to read. If Kimland has said it was a network issue, what kind of network issue?

Ok so the Automatic Restart was checked, but I've unchecked now. But better to look into this a but further in case that wasn't the problem.

I've attached the minidump file.

Well basically when I showed the mindump file to kimsland this is what he said;

Sorry for delay, this one had me stumped!

Bugcheck 40000080 is the NDIS Driver bugcheck (network related)
Rtenicxp.sys file from Realtek 10/100/1000 NIC Family all in one NDIS Driver

There are a few possibilities including faulty packets of data, but because it says: "Idle" (although this just gave more confusion) I'm led to believe that this must be a driver fault

Please confirm your Network driver is up to date, from your Manufacturer's website.

So I updated my drivers and also told him I'm my computer is on a shared network. He said that could possibly be it and to check and see if there were any problems or virus/malwares etc. on the other computers but they were all fine.

The most likely problem is a driver for your network card. What card do you have?

PCWizard
merlin.gif

Nero Info Tool
System Information for Windows (SIW
Belarc Advisor
Mitec System Information

Your crash dump indicates that ntkrnlmp.exe may be involved, but I'd update the driver first.

Do you have an XP SP3 CD?

Sorry don't mean to follow you around, but the Minidump states Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) installed

Also:

BugCheck 1000000A, {4, 2, 0, 804e7eed}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys

Which also does state Driver issue too :grinthumb

Sorry without looking at all your previous posts (or threads)
Have you updated all drivers?
Are you using Norton Antivirus or other?
Are you using 3rd party firewall

Have you tried un-installing these things to test, if your computer is then ok?

Yep I updated the all drivers. I'm using Avast and nope.

My computer functions perfectly, it was just these sudden automatic restarts. It couldve been because of the automatic restart option so I'm gonna wait and see if it happens again.

Those dump calls (win32ksys and ntkrnlmp.exe) are rather generic and the first thing that should be checked is the system memory. If the error returns, run extensive memory checks

Ok the computer restarted again and a blue screen showed, saying something about a memory dump. I had scanned my computer and found a couple of viruses but I quickly got rid of em. But while I was shutting off my computer, the blue screen again showed saying there was some problem and the computer had to shut down.

It said IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

What should I do? And how should I run these memory checks?

I second Kim!

When you have sporadic dumps and can run mostly, as opposed to chronic where you can hardly boot up at all then Malware should be eliminated first.

Mike

Ok so I was doing the 8 Steps guide, but for some reason my Anti Malware wasn't starting up. I tried reinstalling it but not even the installation would start. So I decided to download it again. Oh and I think I should mention my computer froze a couple of times yesterday.

Anyways I didn't have time yesterday to get the Anti Malware so I decided to get today, but when I turned on my computer, the blue screen showed up.

This time it said 'CONFIG_LIST_FAIL'

I tried restarting it but the same blue screen showed up.

I don't understand why this is happening. Faulty RAM? Good thing I still have a warranty for it...

Good morning

That symptom of MBAM and SAS not starting is a definite sign of Malware.

BUT! That don't mean you don't have 2 problems.

OK so you did not say if this failure is on a normal boot or can you get into safe mode.

Another question, before this, did your computer seem to start better when started cold (been off a couple hours or more), or in reverse startup better if it had been on (warm)?

To Boot Safe Mode

1. If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
2. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
3. Start tapping the F8 key.
4.The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.
5. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
6. Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
7.Press Enter.
8. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

IF! the computer will boot to safe mode there will be no Internet.
SO! Shutdown just as the steps above but this time chose Safe Mode with Networking.

IF! this works try to always boot Safe Mode until I tell you.

IF! this still does not work then but you can reach the Advanced Boot Menu then try the "Last Known good configuration. And when it reboots again try to reach Safe Mode.

So you reach Safe Mode Networking. You should have Internet access do no browsing run no other programs but do the below:

Click >Go here Read this and try to get the attachment the malware may prevent it even now!

On this board Executable (.EXE ) can not be attached so download the Fixit.zip Rt Click it get Properties and in the name box change from Fixit.zip to Fixit.exe.

Then execute it, if it does work and do its job it will reboot you back to Normal Mode that is OK but do nothing else but riu Fixit once more from normal mode and after it reboots again post all logs created on Desktop and the BFU.log inside the Fixs folder.

Then begin the 8 Steps.

Mike

The MBAM wasn't workin but I didn't check if the SAS wasn't working either, but mostly likely wouldn't be if it really is a malware.

I can get into Safe Mood. In fact Advanced Boot Menu shows up first and I after I choose whichever option to use, then the Blue Screen shows.

Another question, before this, did your computer seem to start better when started cold (been off a couple hours or more), or in reverse startup better if it had been on (warm)?

Well I haven't had a problem before this where I had to turn off my computer for while for it start up better. Those couple of times when it froze, I would restart the computer, and after its booted, the screen is black and there's just my mouse. Nothing loads up. Strangely enough if I would move my mouse down to a corner, the screen would darken abit. Dunno if that's important to mention but thought I might as well. So when I restart it for a second time, then it works.

Ok so I followed the instructions you left, but there was problem.

Upon entering the Advanced Boot Menu, whichever option I choose; Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Last Known Good Configuration etc, none would work. The same blue screen would then show with the same words, CONFIG_LIST_FAILED.

I tried for a few times but no such luck. What am to do now?

Sheeze there is a rash of these.

Bet thing to do is a repair install. Do you have your Windows XP CD?

Sorry so late getting back but had to leave early and travel today.

Mike

Oh no problem.

A repair install? Alright. Yeah I have the CD.

Will any of my files from the C drive get deleted if I do a repair install? I keep most of my important stuff in the other drives but I have a couple of important documents in the C drive.

Hi Crazy

Yes that is what a repair install is for keeping all your programs and data.

Boot from your Windows CD and proceed to install. You will get a prompt to Hit R to use Recovery console. Do not chose that one, continue until Windows finds an Existing Installation and offers R to Repair the existing installation. Chose this R. and from there it will look like a normal install.

The Repair of existing installation will fix only the Windows Folder and keep all your data. Everything should be normal when you get back up.

A link to follow: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Another one for insight: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

We never had a HJT so did you have SP3. You should use the same SP level you have on the HD or better.

Did you make a SP3 CD by slipstreaming or install SP3 from downloading the full SP3 or from Windows update.

I am going to assume you only have the SP1 or 2 disk. If you did not have SP3 yet then installing SP3 while Repair installing may also help your original issue.

So here is steps to slipstream, from a working computer with CD burner, this can be done from Vista
Download Autostreamer http://majorgeeks.com/download4444.html
then
Download the full SP3 package: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Once you have both of the above it is simple.

With your older XP CD in the CD drive run AutoStreamer and it will ask for the location of the original Windows install CD any version SP1 Sp2, then It will ask for the location of the SP3 file and offer to burn to CD.

Once you have that CD then begin the repair install as above.

If it Repairs then do the 8 Steps as the Repair install may get some malware but not all.

Mike

When I got my computer, Service Pack 2 was installed but I had downloaded and installed Service Pack 3 on my own.

So I ran the repair and the computer is running again. However, MBAM and SAS are still not running.

So I was gonna follow the instructions you left in the previous post but when I chose Safe Mode with Networking, the blue screen showed. I tried simply Safe Mode but after running this list after I select, nothing happens.

But Windows is running perfectly again. So I ran my anti virus, found some infected files, got rid of em. And I ran HijackThis as well, here's the log.

Thanks for all the help you have given me so far.

OK the HJT file looks good.

Don't quit now. To be sure run UPDATE then run MBAM and SAS again. We need to see clean logs.

If so you are finished. If not well... you want them fixed.

I know the scans take a while so schedule it while at work or bed or etc.

Mike

If I can note here that first of all, for a lot of my repair customers, the installation of sp3 has been causing various issues and may or may not be an issue here. Personally I prefer to stick with Sp2. Secondly I would like to suggest Malware Bytes free malware removal tool, as it has worked wonders for me and cleared off a ton of malware programs successfully.

sorry, didnt see the last couple posts as I see MBAM has already been suggested :)

I have installed XP's SP3 on about 20 systems old and newer. I have not had issues except on one 2003 Compaq desktop. I removed the SP3 install folder per MS's instructions, and reran the SP3 setup successfully. Avast free antivirus, along with Glary Utilities, and CCleaner handle my spyware and other malware duties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back