Downloaded Avast & now cant connect to wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYo888

I began the 8 step virus removal last night on a family members laptop.
Since they had no antivirus installed and windows firewall had been disabled I downloaded Avast and Comodo, checked for updates and began scaning system.
I received a message to run a boot scan since there were some infections found in the Windows operating system, which I did.
Ever since then I have been unable to connect to my wireless home network. The network is operating normally as I am using my computer over it at this time. The message listed is Limited or no connectivity try to repair connection. When I do this It disables and enables network connection, Aquires network address, and when trying to renew IP address it fails.
Has anyone had an experience with this issue?
I have tried Restoring the computer to all 4 of theprevious restore points, one of which is titled as 'Last known god configuration", All restores could not be performed.
The laptop is a Gateway MX7118 running Windows XP Media Center AMD athlon 64 Processor 3400+

I assume you are trying to re-establish a network connection.

What results from Safe Mode with networking?

Re-check your assumptions - properties for the network connection > dynamic ip is typical.

When needed, there are netsh commands from the command prompt window.

Another thought, let's try repairing 'winsock'.
...fix worked for this case

Fix XP internet connectivity with WinSock XP Fix

Also check this page for more info - Winsock

Still no Luck

Safe mode with networking I get the same message "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed"
"Renewing your IP address"

I also downloaded the Winsock XP fix to a U3 Cruzer removable media and ran it on the "problem child" to no avail.

I also hooked up the "problem child" directly to my router the old fashioned way (with wires) lol and got the same message about not being able to renew my IP address.

I also followed links to a site explaining how to check my TCP/IP protocol using Msinfo32 and all 10 required files are ther, along with 7 others that are listed as 3rd party and, according to the site will not cause a problem if they are there or not.

I have even attempted to do a system recovery using the disk that came with the computer and got the blue screen of death, with the stop error message:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Please help!
Ty very much in advance. I know you guys can do it you helped me save this one before.
I'm either gonna fix this thing or fix to where it can NEVER be fixed! with a hammer lol.

Short answer

Post this as a Windows OS problem. It will attract fresh viewpoints.

Corrupt security hive following Avast boot scan of system files.

I will use edit function to this reply to add links.

[extra]

1. From the Recovery Console - chkdsk /r [It has 'miraculous' power]
  2. Reset the Router.
  3. Registry Repair from MS
  4. Tip: Recovering a corrupt config\SYSTEM

5. Finding a copy of the Security hive.
    • Cmdcons – access to system restore copies
    • Virus vaults – look at the program that scanned (boot files) and quarantined the security hive
Since the Security hive is missing or corrupt, this may not help. The 'set' is used to unrestrict the Recovery Console. I forget if this limited to XP Pro group policy.
  • This command is need to permit access to directories other than root and Windows
    set allowallpaths = true​
  • This command permits access to FDD or CD.
    set allowremovablemedia = true​

Path information
Code:
C:\>[B]dir /ahs[/B]

Directory of C:\
12/04/2008  10:06    <DIR>          System Volume Information

C:\System Volume Information>[B]dir /ahs[/B]
Directory of C:\System Volume Information

12/13/2008  09:35    <DIR>          _restore{7EF1D12F-06F1-4B10-9B25-641E7F2AE46

• Moving the corrupt HDD to another computer as slave drive gives freer access to restore points. Not sure how / if XP forces all hives to have same 'timestamp'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back