Sims 2 DirectX error message

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using this laptop for a while. I used to play the Sims 2 with no issues what so ever. Than my computer crashed and I had to get Windows XP Home Edition. After reimaging my computer, I reinstalled the game and it no longer worked. Now everytime I try to start the game an error message comes up that says, "Failed to find any DirectC 9.0c compatible graphic adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." I know it can't be a hardware problem because the game used to work on this same computer. I have tried downloading several things but at the end of the download they always say they cannot connect to the system or something? And, the ones that do work do not make the game work still.
I am not at all good with computers so please use dumb talk with me, lol. I've tried everything, I really need help.

That message most often means that windows can't find the video driver for you display device. In such case, Windows installs its own "generic" VGA display driver which is why you can still use your display (but is not good enough for DirectX functions so in turn always results in that message)

Reinstall your graphics driver

If that doesn't work, try "re-seating" your graphic card inside your computer

can you give us the model of your computer/laptop, or even better could you give us a make and model of your video card if you know it

This should do it... follow instrucitons
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Display
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

FoReWoRd

Well,, that's just one of the several easy, "stock" instructions you find yourself repeating over and over. Am sure after you been on here awhile...you'll have quite the set of your own ;)

re

I typed that in run and it said nothing was found. Sorry haven't been on lately been busy. I have an IBM Think Pad - type 2652 [if that means something to you?] with Windows Home Edition installed. Tell me what else to look for and Ill let you know asap.

Dreamsicle1

I'm still guessing odds are you're missing the right video driver. In which case, Windows using its generic driver which also results in DirectX messages you indicated.

Simplest for you to just do the following
  • Click Start->Run, enter msinfo32 (may take 15-30 seconds for new window to open)
  • Click System Summary
    To copy/paste the data shown in the right pane, simply click on anything in the right pane. Then from menu along top of the window
    => Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy
    => Then paste into your next post
  • Then click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Display. Also Copy/Paste the info it displays into next post
  • Click Problem Devices (also appears under Components). Any appear? If so, copy/paste into next post
The System Summary you copy/paste should tell us your computer model (It usually tells the model, not always). Tho you can also look for the tag on your computer will state its model
=> For notebooks, like on the bottom for the tag
=> For desktops, look on the backside of the tower for the tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back