Windows wants a new product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

melinno01

ok, I have my hardrive recognized but now greedy windows wants a new product key. different from the one i originally had with the computer. any tips?

You can contact Dell here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100658.html
Please also note this link has all your drivers in as well ;)

And request a new Recovery CD to be sent to you, I think someone said they cost around $30 or a bit more. I would recommend that this would be a wise investment, if you are missing your original Windows disc

is this a fresh install? what version of windows are you installing and what service pack is on that disc? sp2 or 3? You may need to find another disc to do the install.

its a fresh install of windows xp media center its I got it when I originally purchased the computer. and its a sp2

Its possible that either at the store you bought the OS at, or a visitor to your room, stole the key from your disk and used it to install a copy. That means since only one key can be used at any time yours wouls show up as already taken. It wouldn't be the first time a store employee or customer opened the package and stole the key. It does happen.

If you have all the original packaging, contact Microsoft and explain your situation and offer to fax them copies of your purchase and packaging.

Its possible that either at the store you bought the OS at, or a visitor to your room, stole the key from your disk and used it to install a copy. That means since only one key can be used at any time yours wouls show up as already taken. It wouldn't be the first time a store employee or customer opened the package and stole the key. It does happen.

If you have all the original packaging, contact Microsoft and explain your situation and offer to fax them copies of your purchase and packaging.

sounds like it will work ill try it ^_^ thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back