AV/firewall recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Can someone please give me some specifics on why certain AV and firewall programs are recommended instead of others?

For example, a couple years ago this site recommended AVG and ZoneAlarm, which I have used since. Now I am usually told to use Avira/Avast and Comodo whenever I post here. I'm wondering why the change? I assume that there is no sponsoring with any of these companies and that there are real reasons why AVG and ZA are no longer considered adequate? I'm curious as to what thore reasons are.

I replaced AVG and ZA on an older computer with Avira and Comodo, and they do not appear to be problematic. But going through the process of removing old programs (particularly AVG) is a pain in the a**, so I'm wondering why TS has changed its recommendations. I will do it on my laptop if it will make a big difference, but I have not noticed any difference with speed, etc. with Avira/Comodo on my old computer, so I wonder if it is really worth the hassle. Are there significant reasons that I should make the change?

Thanks!

Everyone has personal favs while reviews come out raving about some new utility.

If you've been happy with AVG and ZA, stick with them.

-- Andy

Both are really annoying to remove completely too, which makes it that much harder for lazy a**es like myself to commit to replacing them. :eek:

I should finish off some things.

When it comes to anti-virus and firewalls, for typical home users, there is not a bad one available. They are all at least very good or better. So you might as well take a freeware version.

When it comes to anti-spyware utilities, it's a much different matter. At least half are garbage and don't really do much. Even the nig name security companies, Symantec and McAfee, have useless anti-spyware utilities. Of the remaining half, only about 6 or 7 are outstanding and another 6 or 7 that are good. Also, no one anti-spyware detects and removes all spyware. It's because spyware is a humongous spectrum with many different types. Therefore you need to run 3 anti-spyware utilities. I also give my customers 2 additional ones as alternates in the case there's a tricky spyware that isn't getting removed the usual 3 they use.

I also recommend CCleaner to flush temporary caches and using system Restore regularly.

-- Andy

Avira and Avast! are pretty good. I use Avast! on my old machine, works like a charm.

AVG, especially the new one, is a resource hog, which is why TS now recommends alternatives.

OK, well that's good to know. Resource allocation can be irritating, but it sounds like there are no big security flaws in sticking with what I already have installed at the moment. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back