Blue Screen of Death while unabling to open in Safe Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

meadowpegasus

Hello!

When I start my computer in normal mode, the blue screen of death appears ("A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"). So I try to open it in Safe Mode but after a series of numbers a BLANK blue screen appear. So I basically have no way to access my computer. I have a newer version of Windows XP and it doesn't require a restoration CD to restore it. Instead it uses Norton Ghost to do restoration, yet I've tried several things using Norton Ghost (searching for virus, repairing, checking if computer is working properly) and nothing has come up so far. I tried the system restoration but it says that I haven't created any restoration point so it cannot do that. There's only one step left: to restore my computer to its manufactory setting. But I can't do that since I have so many important files without much back ups. I don't know what to do now, so any help would be deeply appreciated! PLEASE HELP!!!

Can you boot from a CD? If yes try downloading ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk), it's a live CD we can use in rebuilding your system. Change your BIOS to boot from a CD/DVD and boot with ERD. CHKDSK all your HDD. While you're there you can do a virus scan using Portable Avira (I have one posted and uploaded on other threads) Do a system restore. If it reboots in Safe Mode do a 2nd System Restore. What point to choose, select one that you believe your Windows is working fine. Then let me know. Next thing we do is clean your system of errors.

Hello. Thank you for your help! I will try the steps you mentioned and see what happens. I hope it works.
But since I have Norton Ghost, it allows me to move files. I've been copying and pasting the files that i need to keep from driver C to driver D (back up driver) through Ghost and then I'll do a system total restore to factory setting afterwards (because that is the only thing I could think of before I got your reply). But will my my files will still be saved if I put my files in the back up drive and then do a factory setting restore?

If not then I will resort to your way because my computer doesn't come with a CD, I will have to download it from the internet so it will take a while.
I have a CD that says, "Drivers and User Documentation DellTM E196FP Color Monitor; Contents; HTML User Documentation, Drives (INF, ICM, and CAT files)". I don't know if that is the CD that you are refering to because it doesn't seem like it is. Since Dell came up with Norton Ghost they've decided they would go CD-less.

Through Ghost, I tried to do a System Restore but it says that I haven't created any restoration point (whereas I was able to do a system restore to my computer directly through the computer's control panel before when Windows was still perfectly fine). That is why I resorted to copying and moving files to Back Up drive via Ghost...

Ok you know what to do with the iso. Burn and try if it boots and do the ERD System Restore.

It is a prudent thing to do a back-up before you do something drastic to your system. Can you boot from an external USB CD/DVD-drive? Then let's give it a shot. Keep me informed.

I have a CD that says, "Drivers and User Documentation DellTM E196FP Color Monitor; Contents; HTML User Documentation, Drives (INF, ICM, and CAT files)". I don't know if that is the CD that you are refering to because it doesn't seem like it is. Since Dell came up with Norton Ghost they've decided they would go CD-less. Is that the CD that you've been talking about? otherwise I will have to download a CD that was in 2001 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8
But I bought my computer in 2006, so I don't know if there would be dramatic changes or problems regarding the different versions of windows... Would there be?

On the other hand: Do I have to move files to a CD when I do a backup or do the files just move to back up (D) drive and stay there forever unless I manually delete them? Like, as long as the files are in Back up drive then it's okay? i don't have to put them in a Cd or anything?

I tried doing a system restore but it says that no restore point was found (although I know the computer has several restoration points...)

Right now I am doing a virus scan, and no virus is found on my computer...

If it is a hardware failure, what should I do?

Kindly post your specs. Your link points to Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install. What we'll do is boot with ERD. Since you don't have a CD drive borrow an External CD drive the one you connect to your USB port. And also change your BIOS to allow other boot devices.

Are you booting your PC now through Norton Ghost? I'm not familiar with Ghost.

Yes I am booting my PC with Ghost. I think it does the same thing with the restoration CD. It's checking my computer for problems but no problems have been found so far. It's weird...
Okay then I'll try downloading the ERD after Ghost is done with checking my computer. (I'm using a laptop right now.)

Oooh THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! I will be downloading the CD and checking with you in a bit... Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for but I did not know it existed on the internet! (I didn't know what it was called or where to look for... or what nots) I will be downloading it to a CD and be checking with you in a few minutes. :) thanks!

Ok. Extract the zip file and burn the iso as iso not data. Tell me when you're ready. HBCD also has ERD System Restore.

Okay so I finished downloading it. (I took a break.)
and I also finished extractingn it...
But now how do I burn the ISO as ISO? (I'm a noob...) and what's ISO?

Ok PM your email addr. I'll give you an AV Scanner.

If you've burned it successfully do the following:

1. Insert the CD in your drive, change BIOS to boot from CD, Reboot.
2. Select Start MinI Windows XP
3. On the desktop launch Command Prompt.
Type CHKDSK C: /f,
or for multiple drives (Ex. if you have 3 drives)
for %a in (c d e) do CHKDSK %a: /f
4. Launch ERD System Restore,
select drive C:\System Volume Information
(.) Rollback ...

5 Launch Explorer and rename all autorun.inf to autorun.sav on all your drives.

Reboot

PRINT!!!

Can't find the link. We'll try another Live-CD. Hiren's Boot CD. http://www.hirensbootcd.net/ Just click Download.
Isn't hiren's actually considered warez?

What anti-virus are you using?

When I start my computer in normal mode, the blue screen of death appears ("A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"). So I try to open it in Safe Mode but after a series of numbers a BLANK blue screen appear. So I basically have no way to access my computer. I have a newer version of Windows XP and it doesn't require a restoration CD to restore it. Instead it uses Norton Ghost to do restoration
When did these problem start, and if you know, how did they start? When does the computer blue screen when you startup in normal mode?

I think Norton Ghost is a separate program, likely you have the same windows XP as many other people, just with Norton Ghost installed and operational.

Okay this is how it happened:

A week ago, the blue screen started appearing while I was on Windows. Everytime this happened I would restart my computer and things would work out fine so I ignored it. Until the day before the day before yesterday, I clicked on a friend's Friendster (from the link that she had on her Facebook), and a virus called Antivirus System Pro infected my computer, and somehow my McAfee got disfunctioned too. So I used Malwarebytes Antimalware to clean the virus up. Everything turned out fine, the virus got cleaned. And I also did a System restore to restore my computer to about 2 weeks ago, before the BSOD appeared. But somehow the next day, I opened the computer up and right at the Welcome Screen hte BSOD appeared, and no matter what I did, I couldn't and still can't open my computer to normal mode. Since it says that I should open it in Safe Mode, so I did, but after a series of numbers and codes on a black screen, a BLANK blue screen appeared and nothing happened afterwards. I've tried to open my computer in Safe mode a few months ago and everything was fine, so I don't know since when Safe Mode stopped working.

So I had to resort to opening my system in Norton Ghost by clicking Ctrl and F7. I've done total system restore to factory setting for my computer before, but that was when I did back ups and everything, and it was last year. But since I have important documents that I can't manage to lose, I refused to do a total restore and come here to seek for help instead. :( It told me to do a system restore to the date before the problem happened, but Ghost says that no restoration point is saved on my computer so it can't do that. Through Ghost, I've done a virus scan and a long system check, but it says everything's okay, except on Drive C (which is the drive that I save stuff on), there's some error with the security...

Now I regret because I haven't done a system check (defragmentation and stuff) for my computer for a while...

Oh and the blue screen of death says that I should check if the disk has adequate enough space, but I don't know how I can do it since I can't open it in Safe Mode. And Norton Ghost lets me see what files I have and it allows me to move and copy and paste my files but it doesn't let me see my files (like pictures and word docs and such). I mean, I can see the name of the file, but I can't view it.

Thanks for your help so far. I hope my computer will work normally again. :(

Oh and here's my email address: sweetmelliebored@yahoo.com

Oh and btw, I'm a female (you probably figured that out by now from my email address). LOL...

Ok PM your email addr. I'll give you an AV Scanner.

If you've burned it successfully do the following:

1. Insert the CD in your drive, change BIOS to boot from CD, Reboot.
2. Select Start MinI Windows XP
3. On the desktop launch Command Prompt.
Type CHKDSK C: /f,
or for multiple drives (Ex. if you have 3 drives)
for %a in (c d e) do CHKDSK %a: /f
4. Launch ERD System Restore,
select drive C:\System Volume Information
(.) Rollback ...

5 Launch Explorer and rename all autorun.inf to autorun.sav on all your drives.

Reboot

PRINT!!!

Print???

Oh and here's my email address: [mod edit: email removed]
By posting your email on a public website, you may have opened the door for email grabbers and opened the door for mass spam!

If you don't have a different computer to look at the instructions (I assume you do, since your posting), winXPert wants to make sure you don't forget something in the middle of doing it.
If you have another portable disk drive, either external hdd or whatever, you can copy them over and then format from there, and yes I think a format or restore to manufacture's default settings WILL wipe everything even on separate partitions.

If you have another portable disk drive

Why did'nt I think of that? Thanks [hk] copy/paste my instructions to a file and save it to you flash drive. Before you do ERD System Restore plug in the flash drive and power up. Just read the file using Notepad.

lol I don't really use that email address so it wouldn't matter.... and since winxpert wanted me to give him my email address so he can send me the AV scanner (although I could have PMed him...)

oh and i'm using another computer, since the computer with the problem is having troubles and Ghost can only show me the names of the files, it doesn't let me view them...

oops I wrote this an hour ago but I forgot to send it! lol...

Oh and I can't acess the internet or my files through Norton Ghost.... Whatever it is it's just like a restoration CD... without being in a CD, already being embeded in the computer.

If you have another portable disk drive, either external hdd or whatever, you can copy them over and then format from there, and yes I think a format or restore to manufacture's default settings WILL wipe everything even on separate partitions.

Isn't that why winxpert sent me the link to download the tool that would help me save everything on a CD when windows is corrupted?

Ok what I'm pointing out is Restoration, [hk] is talking about backup. If you have a spare USB HDD with enough space you can do a backup procedure just in case. Btw since you'll be using HBCD no need to plug in a USB device prior to booting, hot plugging works here.

Don't have the AV with me, it's on the other PC, I'm on Linux now. Ready to proceed. Then go for it.

Next time Windows boots normally I want to know if [Ctrl][Alt][Del], regedit, Folder options and CMD works.

[add'l]

Download the following:
Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus 9.0.0.407 plus the latest virus definitions at Avira's website.

We'll do the defragmentation and stuff later.

NEVER EVER in any way do a System Restore with a USB HDD connected to your system!!!

oh oh oh Winxpert I can't PM you yet since I haven't posted 30 posts yet...

but I posted my email address up here before....

and I haven't done anything to burn the CD yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back