Games run way too fast... AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi new here,

I have a problem with any and all games, they run way to fast, like lighting fast.
L4D, NFS Pro Street, etc. These are not old games.
Here is the break down, I had a AMD FX62 (2.8ghz) CPU, No problems for about 2years. Then things started to go freaky fast and using cpu-z found I was only running at like 876mhz, looked for answers. replaced the CPU w/ a athlon 64 x2 6000+ (3.0ghz), this was about 3 months ago, that worked, running great till I think a week ago, downloaded Left 4 dead 2 demo last night and started it up and it was running way to fast too. So I looked and again only running at like 876mhz.
Does anybody have this problem or fixed it. Im thinking maybe its my motherboard, but thought I would see if somebody knows whats up.
I've researched that people say to only use a singe core or mess with the graphics, but I really dont think thats my problem. Any help?

I know I know, you say dont you want it to be fast, yes,but it is kinda hard to play a game that is running SO fast that you cant do anything. In L4D you think you will just walk a couple steps, but you just walked to the other side of the room in a split second. Its hard to understand, but mainly I was wondering if anybody knew why im running at a slower CPU speed, but everything is blazing fast. Im hoping somebody has had this problem, and fixed it.

I was wondering if anybody knew why im running at a slower CPU speed, but everything is blazing fast. Im hoping somebody has had this problem, and fixed it.
Thats a power conservation feature, it will resume full clockspeeds once you actually start doing something with your CPU, probably not the problem.
As for the running fast part, I would think its something wrong with your games.
Try reinstalling Left for Dead if possible.

that actually sounds like a most interesting way to play ^^.

yea i thought it might be the game too. but its every game i have. they all load in a split second and the game play is blazing fast too. but it used to say 3.0ghz in system prop. when it was fine, now that its crazy fast it says 876mhz. its very strange. I have never seen anything like it. like i said i put a new cpu in and it was fine. now its doing it again.

Hi Nushiyu,

I'm coming at this from a Software/hardware engineering point of view ( as I personally dont game much). I have a feeling that it is your GPU. You could try updating your drivers.

It seems like the game is skipping instructions, hence it is running way too fast. Games would generally use a clock to time the the speed of movement.So say you kept the forward arrow pressed, the game has an instruction which stops the your character from running too fast, and hence it allows only so much movement per sec.

If your GPU is faulty, this could mean that your GPU is sending a false signal to the CPU that it has done the "behind-the-scenes" job (which would "normally" take up the time, i.e. help keep the clock in check, before your cpu checks if you have provided another command and accepts your next command) and hence the cpu is just constantly and prematurely updating your screen.

Now that I remember, (and this is way back in the day), I used to play Cricket '97 (EA Sports) which would sometimes suddenly speed up and at the same time not accept any input from me for a while until , im guessing, the screen was reset by the "bowl new ball" instruction. The same went for a bike racing game called Road Rash.

I didnt know anything about this then, so unfortunately I dont have a tried and tested solution, but i have a feeling that updating/re-installing your GPU drivers might do the trick.

Let me know if that works, because if it doesnt maybe you just have some glitch in your OS installation, and the reason why your problem got fixed when you upgraded your cpu was really because of the re-installation of your OS.

Either way, the safest one the to try first would be your graphics card drivers. If that doesn't work, I would try re-installing your OS fresh and then trying to play the games again.

Please let me know if any of the above worked.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back