Problem with Mic in and Line out ports and Realtek AC'97 Audio

Hello all,

I am new to the Forum but after a week of searching for answers I figured mine must be a unique problem.

I've had a no sound problem with my PC at work for sometime, programs and browsers have always run perfectly, but with no sound.

I suspected a disabled sound card, but the PC has a sound card built in on the MB and it has always been enabled.

My second solution was out of date drivers, and after seeing a yellow explanation mark next to my sound device, I downloaded the appropriate driver, as well as the latest DirectX for my OS (WindowsXP).

I then proceded to download all available codecs for my built-in sound card, the Realtek AC'97 Audio model. (Complete specs will follow)

So far no good, but with these was installed the Multi-Channel Audio Configuration program by Realtek, which enabled me to see that upon inserting my speakers into the line-out, it was being detected as mic-in. Bizarre?

I tried fiddling about, trying line-out, in and mic ports on the front and rear of the pc, but in every case all that was recognized was a 'Powered Speaker in Mic-In connector'

Anyway I downloaded a few media players with visualisation, to make sure that the PC was indeed generating sound and it wasn't just failing to comprehend audio files completely, admittedly this should have been an earlier move. But everything was 'Ready' 'Ok' and installed, status wise.

So then I'm fiddling about again and I try running the Realtek Audio Configuration's connection check whilst playing some mp3 files in wmp (my speakers currently in line-in). And for 2 seconds whilst the test is commencing, I hear the first sound this computer has ever produced, but upon this tests completion, and the result that the powered speakers are apparently connected to 'Mic In', the sound fails once more.

This has got me, once again, royally stumped and I've filtered through many threads regarding the failure of the Realtek AC'97 codecs, drivers etc, but I've reinstalled all the necessary software countless times and feel this could possibly be a hardware malfunction? Nevertheless I decided to put it in the audio thread, sorry if I've done the wrong thing.

Thanks to any helpers in advance!
Please help!

Spud

Sound device: Realtek AC'97 Audio
Manufac: Realtek
PNP Dev: PCI\VEN_1002%DEV_4370&SUBSYS_2A25103C&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&A5
IRQ 17
Driver: c:\...\alcxwdm.sys (5.10.00.6210)

During your-
fiddling about
did you try downloading and running OpenAL from here?
OpenAL_logo.png

@ucould2
I never heard of Open AL before. Thanks. I'll have to go check it out :)

@Spudrifle
Not sure if i can help but let's first checkout your software install.
Check Problem Devices report
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Firstly, thank you both for your replies,

I have downloaded this OpenAL, but I'm not quite sure how I make use of it?

I enclose the dxdiag.txt file, along with print-screens of my audio configuration, and the realtek audio configuration manager's display when I connect my speakers to the line out port.

(The msinfo32 problem devices returns nothing)

Cheers!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    39.8 KB · Views: 2
  • config.JPG
    config.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sound.JPG
    sound.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
First thing i notice, is your still running SP2. It may or may not help, but you're still better to upgrade to SP3
> MS has officially stopped supporting and providing updates for SP2
> Upgrading will at least remove SP2 (or any part of SP2 ) as a suspect in the "troubleshooting equation"

Do a thorough anti virus scan first, check freespace, backup you stuff (best to create a backup cloned image of your SP2 drive - you can use EASUS Todo Backup). Then upgrade to SP3. The upgrade goes smooth 95% of the time - but your mileage may vary :) So good to do the backups first

If same probs after the upgrade, rerun the two reports and repost pls.

Back