Anyone tried replacement cooler for HD5850?

Arris

I'm finding that now that I've got two of them running in crossfire the XFX card I have with the reference ATI cooler is running hot. After last gaming session MSI Afterburner reported 87C max temp. So I've been playing with the idea of selling it and getting another MSI card which comes with a very good cooler, or just buying a cooler (which would probably cost around the same as selling the XFX card and putting money toward a new MSI one).

Anyone got any experience? Any recommended coolers? Tips for installation?

Thanks.

Hi Arris,
This cooler is very good if you want to go the replacement route. I Don't know about prices in Scotland, but here the prices on the 58xx series are very good, and as good as they are probably going to get. as far as installation tips. more GPU's get damaged because people pull straight up when they remove the heat-sink. When you are ready to remove it, gently twist it back and forth keeping it on center until you break the (now very set) thermal compound loose. Be very sparing on the thermal compound as well. it does not take much to cover the small chip.
hope that helps some. :)

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=22.?

I would add that it becomes easier to unattach the stock heatsink if you run the card in 3D mode for a short while to heat up the GPU and TIM. Some vendors (including XFX) tend to slap thermal compound on as if they were bricklayers. The heat will soften the TIM to a degree.

I would add that it becomes easier to unattach the stock heatsink if you run the card in 3D mode for a short while to heat up the GPU and TIM. Some vendors (including XFX) tend to slap thermal compound on as if they were bricklayers. The heat will soften the TIM to a degree.

Oh yes, I have yet to remove a GPU HS that did not have Thermal compound (usually in copious amounts) spilling over the edges of the chip...and not very high quality compound at that.

Back