Solved Think I have a virus and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDylan

Hi there,

I stupidly downloaded something which I shouldn't have (I wanted to download a game) and now my computer is acting strangly.

Basically, when my computer starts I can not open firefox. When I click on firefox, nothing happens. I have Norton 360 Premier Edition as protection, but that also is not responding - although for a split second every now and again Norton pops up bu then dissapears again. I've noticed any WinRAR files don't open too.

For some reason, other things open fine. I am currently typing this in Internet Explorer - which worked fine.

Any ideas what I should do? I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Lucky you! I just signed on to the board! Problem about pirating or file sharing is that you really don't get it free! All kinds of 'trash' come bundled with it.

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
=========================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
If I have not replied for 2 days, you can send me a PM reminder. Include the URL of your thread. Please do not send me a PM to tell me your logs are up.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================
And a special note: I just happened to bring up the forum right after you posted. Understand that reviewing the logs takes longer!

Hi, thanks for the quick response!

Okay, things haven't started all that well! I already had the Malwarebytes thing on my computer, so I ran a quick scan which found a number of things wrong. I followed the instructions and it asked to re-start the computer, which I allowed. The annoying thing is that I can't access the log!

I opened 'Programe Files (x86)' then opened the Malwarebytes folder, but I couldn't find a 'Logs' folder or option anywhere. So I opened Malwarebytes properly again and clicked on 'logs'. My log is there with the date, but it will not open as it won't respond! Any ideas?

PS: Am I being stupid (probably), but why did you say you are new to the board when you have over 12,000 posts?

Not that it matters, thanks either way!

I tried Step 3: GMER, but it didn't seem to work properly. I think that was more to do with me no doing it right rather than the computer.

I also did Step 4: DDS, which seemed to go OK, but then two notepads didn't show up. Any idea where I can find them? Although I probably can't open them either!

Hi, sorry me again!

I just realised I was meant to reinstall any old scanning programs I had. So I uninstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and then reinstalled it. Did the same thing again, this time the notepad file popped straight up. Also, there was a lot less files infected compard to about 20 mins ago when I did it with the older one.

This is what popped up:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6978

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

29/06/2011 21:15:30
mbam-log-2011-06-29 (21-15-30).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 168632
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 2
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
c:\programdata\questscan\questscan145.exe (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> 2208 -> Unloaded process successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\questscan\questscan.exe (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> 2340 -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
c:\program files (x86)\questscan\questscan.dll (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\QuestScan Service (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\UNINSTALL\QUESTSCAN (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QUESTSCAN (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuestScan\DisplayName (Adware.QuestScan) -> Value: DisplayName -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QuestScan\DllPath (Adware.QuestScan) -> Value: DllPath -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096} (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\chrome (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\defaults (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\defaults\preferences (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:\programdata\questscan\questscan145.exe (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\questscan\questscan.dll (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\questscan\questscan.exe (Adware.Agent.ZGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\Users\owner\downloads\emulesetup.exe (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\chrome.manifest (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\install.rdf (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\chrome\questscan.jar (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files (x86)\mozilla firefox\extensions\{f0e1168a-b4b5-484c-b77e-0d28e6b64096}\defaults\preferences\prefs.js (Adware.QuestScan) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Hi,

OK everything seems to be working OK again now. Norton can now open and I am undertaking a 'Quick Scan'. Firefox also will now open.

Do you think that means everything is OK again? Should I be doing anything else?

Sorry for the constant harrassment!

No, I'm not new to the board. I just accessed the forum for the afternoon right after you posted.

Every one of those short sentences that you make a new post for sends me email feedback. Please use the Edit feature for these short comments. I think you can cut down on the confusion if you take time to carefully read the instructions.

You Reply #3, 4, 5 and 6 could have all been one post.

Ouch. Okay, I can't apologise enough for that, didn't realise it would be such a problem. In case you hadn't guessed, I'm a complete ***** with computers.

As far as I know, the problem has been sorted. Please let me know if you think that's not the case.

Really am sorry.

You have been a member here for almost a year. I only see one other thread in that time. But I will be frank- however you want to put it- if you don't know enough to read and follow directions, then you shouldn't have a keyboard!

Now that we have that out of the way and I have deleted all the excess emails, let's finish up>> read and follow:

I also did Step 4: DDS, which seemed to go OK, but then two notepads didn't show up. Any idea where I can find them?
Notepad doesn't 'show up'- you have to open it:
Click on All Programs> Accessories> Hover the cursor over Notepad> Choose 'pin to the Start menu'> also click on 'Send to> Desktop to create a shortcut.
Now you will have Notepad handy when you need to copy and paste a log. Important: when you open Notepad> Click on Format> Uncheck 'Word Wrap' before you coy a log.

Open Notepad> copy each of the DDS logs.

To clear the Java Plug-in cache: Note: There is no log for this:

• [1]. Click Start > Control Panel.
    [2]. Double-click the Java icon in the control panel.
    java.png
    The Java Control Panel appears.
    plugin_cache1.jpg

[3].Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.The Temporary Files Settings dialog box appears.
    plugin_cache2.jpg

[4] Click Delete Files.The Delete Temporary Files dialog box appears.
    plugin_cache3.jpg

[5]. Click OK on Delete Temporary Files window.
    Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
    [6]. Click Apply> OK on Temporary Files Settings window.
Images courtesy java.com
========================================
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESETOnlineScan
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    [o] Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    [o] Double click on the
    esetSmartInstallDesktopIcon.png
    on your desktop.
  • Check 'Yes I accept terms of use.'
  • Click Start button
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
    esetonlinescannersettings_thumb.jpg
  • Uncheck 'Remove found threats'
  • Check 'Scan archives/
  • Leave remaining settings as is.
  • Press the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please wait for the scan to finish.
  • When the scan completes, press List of found threats
  • Push Export of text file and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Paste this log in your next reply.
  • Push the Back button
  • Push Finish

NOTE: If no malware is found then no log will be produced. Let me know if this is the case.
Download HijackThis http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/hijackthis/HijackThis.zipand save to your desktop.
  • Extract it to a directory on your hard drive called c:\HijackThis.
  • Then navigate to that directory and double-click on the hijackthis.exe file.
  • When started click on the Scan button and then the Save Log button to create a log of your information.
  • The log file and then the log will open in notepad. Be sure to click on Format> Uncheck Word Wrap when you open Notepad
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and paste (Ctrl+V) the log in your next reply.

NOTE: Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

NOTE: If no malware is found then no log will be produced. Let me know if this is the case.

This is the case.

HijackThis:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 13:41:33, on 30/06/2011
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16800)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lexmark 1400 Series\lxdjamon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe
c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\DVD\DVDAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarUser_32.exe
C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10b.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_GB&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_GB&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_GB&c=94&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\5.1.0.29\coIEPlg.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\5.1.0.29\IPS\IPSBHO.DLL
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.7.6406.1642\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Vuze Remote Toolbar - {ba14329e-9550-4989-b3f2-9732e92d17cc} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vuze_Remote\tbVuze.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\5.1.0.29\coIEPlg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Vuze Remote Toolbar - {ba14329e-9550-4989-b3f2-9732e92d17cc} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vuze_Remote\tbVuze.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPCam_Menu] "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Webcam"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl.exe] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NortonOnlineBackupReminder] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\Activation\NobuActivation.exe" UNATTENDED
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePRCShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerRecover"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Easybits Recovery] C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyBits For Kids\ezRecover.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPADVISOR] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe view=DOCKVIEW
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_70dacb64382a61a7\AESTSr64.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: GamesAppService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\WildTangent Games\App\GamesAppService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: HP Quick Synchronization Service (HPDrvMntSvc.exe) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HPDrvMntSvc.exe
O23 - Service: HP Software Framework Service (hpqwmiex) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: lxdjCATSCustConnectService - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\\lxdjserv.exe
O23 - Service: lxdj_device - - C:\Windows\system32\lxdjcoms.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton 360 (N360) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine\5.1.0.29\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: AEP SSL Tunnel Helper Service (NetillaVPNService) - AEP Networks, Inc. - C:\Program Files\AEP\SSLTunnel\nvpns.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Rapport Management Service (RapportMgmtService) - Trusteer Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stwrt64.inf_amd64_neutral_70dacb64382a61a7\STacSV64.exe
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 12299 bytes

Please update the Adobe Reader: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4969
Then uninstall v9 in Add/Remove Programs.
=======================================
Please reopen HijackThis to 'do system scan only.' Check each of the following, if present:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...vilion&pf=cnnb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...vilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...vilion&pf=cnnb
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: Vuze Remote Toolbar - {ba14329e-9550-4989-b3f2-9732e92d17cc} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vuze_Remote\tbVuze.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Vuze Remote Toolbar - {ba14329e-9550-4989-b3f2-9732e92d17cc} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vuze_Remote\tbVuze.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Close all Windows except HijackThis and click on "Fix Checked"
=============================================
If the problem has been resolved, since the Eset scan came back clean:
Remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created
  • Uninstall ComboFix and all Backups of the files it deleted
    [o] Click START> then RUN
    [o] Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
  • Download OTCleanIt by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
    [o] Double click OTCleanIt.exe.
    [o] Click the CleanUp! button.
    [o] If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
    [o]The tool will delete itself once it finishes.
    Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
    Note: If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.
  • Set a new, clean Restore Point
    [o] Click on Start> right click on Computer> Properties
    [o] Select System Protection
    [o] Click on the Create button (near bottom)
    [o] Type a name for the Restore Point
    [o] Click on Create again to save the restore point.
  • Deleting all but the most recent System Protection point in Windows 7
    [o] Click Start> Computer> right click the C Drive and choose Properties> enter.
    [o] Click Disk Cleanup from there.
    image2.png

[o] Click Clean up system files
    This restarts Disk Cleanup to run in elevated mode.
    [o] Click the More Options tab
    w7-srp2.png

[o] Click the Clean up under System Restore and Shadow Copies.
    [o] Click OK.
    [o] You will get a confirmation screen> Just click Delete.
    [o] Click OK on the Disk Cleanup Screen.
    [o] Click Delete Files on the Confirmation screen.
image6.png

This runs the Disk Cleanup utility along with other selections if you have chosen any. (if you had a lot System Restore points, you will see a significant change in the free space in C drive)
Images courtesy lytebyte.

Empty the Recycle Bin
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Please update the Adobe Reader: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4969
Then uninstall v9 in Add/Remove Programs.
=======================================

I followed that link and downloaded what you instructed me to. When I double click on it it says:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgraded patch"

And then that was it.

So I wasn't sure what to do, so I deleted all Adobe progams I had on my computer and then tried it, but got the same message. So on the Adobe website I downloaded: Adobe Reader 10.1.0, Adobe Flash 10.3, and Adobe Air 2.7.

Please let me know if I shouldn't have done that and I will delete them. Not sure how to get past this opening problem.

Thanks.

So on the Adobe website I downloaded: Adobe Reader 10.1.0, Adobe Flash 10.3, and Adobe Air 2.7.

You did good! I gave you an update link but if the old version was removed before the update, there would not be a program to update.

At any rate, you have the correct versions of all.

You're welcome! The system is clean and updated and the tools have been removed. I'm leaving some tips to help you keep the system clean:

Tips for added security and safer browsing: (Links are in Bold Blue)
  1. Browser Security
    [o] Safe Settings (Please ignore the suggestion to use the Registry Editior in this section "Creating a Custom Security Zone")
    [o] ZonedOut. This manages the Zones in Internet Explorer. (For IE7 and IE8, Windows 2000 thru Vista. No Windows 7)
    [o] Replace the Host Files
    [o] Google Toolbar Pop Up Blocker
    [o]Web of Trust (WOT) Site Advisor. Traffic-light rating symbols show which rate the site for Trustworthiness, Vendor Reliability, Privacy, Child Safety.
  2. Have layered Security:
    [o]Antivirus :(only one):Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
    [o]Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus
    [o] [o]Avast-Free Antivirus
    [o]Firewall (only one): Use bi-directional firewall. Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
    [o]Comodo
    [o]Zone Alarm
  3. Antimalware: I recommend all of the following:
    [o]Spywareblaster: SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX.
    [o]Spybot Search & Destroy
  4. Updates: Stay current:
    [o] the Microsoft Download Sitefrequently. All updates marked Critical and the current SP updates.
    [o]Adobe Reader Install current, uninstall old.
    [o]Java Updates Install current, uninstall old.
  5. Tracking Cookies
    Reset Cookie:
    [o]For Internet Explorer: Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab> Advanced button> check 'override automatic Cookie handling'> check 'accept first party Cookies'> check 'Block third party Cookies'> check 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.
    [o]For Firefox: Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies> check ‘accept Cookies from Sites’> Uncheck 'accept third party Cookies'> Set Keep until 'they expire'. This will allow you to keep Cookies for registered sites and prevent or remove others. (Note: for Firefox v3.5, after Privacy click on 'use custom settings for History.')
    I suggest using the following two add-on for Firefox. They will prevent the Tracking Cookies that come from ads and banners and other sources:
    AdBlock Plus
    Easy List
    [o]For Chrome: Tools> Options> Under The Hood> Privacy Section> CHECK 'Restrict how third party Cookies can be used'> Close.
  6. Do regular Maintenance
    [o] Temporary File Cleaner
  7. Restore Points:
    [o]See System Restore Guide
  8. Safe Email Handling
    [o] Don't open email from anyone you don't know.
    [o] Don't open Attachments in the email. Safe to your desktop and scan for viruses using a right click
    [o] Don't leave your personal email address on the internet. Have a separate email account at one of the free web-based emails like Yahoo.
Please let me know if you find any bad link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back