Unable to boot Windows (error 0251 ; TMP problem)

daydayday

Hello,
Before I speak of my computer issue, I feel it is of great importance to state a few aspects; I must ask for your forgiveness for whatever border I may be crossing, unnoticed, seeing that this is my first post, so I once again beg your pardon.

I should also say that I'm not much of a computer genius, so there might be certain terms, hardware and such that I am not fully familiar with.

What happened :
I was on my LG R200 Laptop, playing a video game during the night, I exited the game around 4AM EST, and had shut down the laptop, as usual, and I went to sleep. The next day I set the charger, mouse, headphones and the laptop into my backpack, to bring it over to another house which isn't too far from the original (I do suspect that I might have shaken the backpack while I was traveling the short distance, although I am not too sure). Once at the destination, I carefully set down the laptop along with the accessories and such, I went eat, came back after a few minutes and attempted to boot the laptop. And it didn't work...

What happens when I try to boot :
When I boot my laptop, it loads past the LG welcome screen, the DVD Drive ( I have the DVD drive set on first to boot in BIOS), and once at the Windows boot screen, it loads for a few seconds, and it freezes up for around half a second or so and a blue screen pops up for about .2 - .3 seconds and automatically shutdowns the laptop and immediately reboots by itself, and the whole thing repeats.

Also :
I tried removing the battery and putting it back in ( I have even tried to leave it out for a few hours, when I went to school, then have it put back in ), and also tried getting the battery fully charged then boot, none of those attempts succeeded. But when booting after putting the battery back in, a black screen with white text pops up, and lists a bunch of stuff, what caught my attention was the "No TMP or TMP has problem" and the "0215 cmos checksum bad error" ( not entirely sure if that's exactly what it says for the error 0215 ).

I then tried inserting a Windows format disk and I tried both the Repair and Install options, but both options tell me that I do not have a HDD installed, or it is not installed properly. Although I can detect it on my BIOS. I also opened up the HDD pocket, checked on the HDD, unplugged it and plugged it back, still did not work.

I think that is about it for what happened, if I recall anything else I'll be sure to update.

For the technical specs. of my laptop, I don't think I know too much about it, although I've had it for a little over three years now. And since I can't boot it up, I can't really check its technical specs., I could possibly look it up online, but the model I have is sort of rare or, if I must say, unknown, because I looked it up before and I found LG R200 with pre-installed webcams and diffrent specs than my laptop, so it makes it a little difficult for me to gather up information about my laptop; possibly because I'm pretty terrible at finding information.

LG R200 (M/N : R200 - D.CPF1A9)
Windows XP Pro SP2

That's all I got for now, I do think it is a 2 Duo Core though. I don't know what else I need to give, so please suggest anything I would need to add to that little list of specs.

If anyone can find a solution to this issue, let me know please, that laptop is pretty much my main machine.

Thank you in advance,
Day

Hello Day,
No need to apologize here. All this boils down to a bad hard drive. If you can replace it yourself, fine. If not, you'll have to take it in for repair. They may be able to save important data off the failed hard drive, so don't throw it away just yet

Hello Day,
No need to apologize here. All this boils down to a bad hard drive. If you can replace it yourself, fine. If not, you'll have to take it in for repair. They may be able to save important data off the failed hard drive, so don't throw it away just yet

Hello Tmagic650,
Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for your reply. When you mentioned my HDD was possibly defected (it probably is), I felt bad and I attempted to connect to another computer, being my desktop computer. I plugged it in, turned on the computer, and all runs fine, I believe. There's no corresponding drivers so the resolution and the effects were how they are supposed to be in Windows XP without any drivers, I guess. But I tried plugging it back in to my laptop, and it doesn't work.

So now I am suspecting that it might be the problem with the HDD connector/plug on my laptop or some other hardware (or maybe a defected software or Windows file...). Although it might still be a problem with the HDD rendering it unable to run on my laptop.

What would be your take on this? :)

Thanks
Day

When you connected the laptop hard drive to your desktop computer you used a converter type device didn't you? Laptop and desktop hard drives have different connection interfaces. Sounds like the laptop hard drive is good, but the Windows boot sector on it is corrupt

Sorry, what is a "converter type device". Since I don't know what that may be, I'll just tell everyone what I did : I simply unplugged the HDD from the laptop and plugged it into my desktop, and it worked, I guess. And the plugs were slightly different but pretty much the same I think. The desktop plug had 2 wires, one of a small end and the other of a bigger end, while the laptop only has 1 wire with a big end composed that contains both the end plug of the two desktop wires (this confuses me myself, but it's pretty much the same plug, just that the laptop plug had the two desktop wires as one single wire.

If the problem is the Windows boot sector, what should I do to solve everything, I mean, is there a way?

If I plugged the HDD into my desktop and formatted it with a Windows XP CD, and plugged it back into the laptop, would it be able to boot as usual? Or are there other solutions?

Thanks again,
Day

When you connected the laptop hard drive to your desktop computer you used a converter type device didn't you? Laptop and desktop hard drives have different connection interfaces. Sounds like the laptop hard drive is good, but the Windows boot sector on it is corrupt

After much tears and sorrow, with a little amount of regained hope, I have returned to give my laptop another try.

So, what I have noticed so far, is that both my Desktop computer and my Laptop computer use SATA ports, I do imagine the same type, considering the laptop hard drive had run on the desktop. Although it did run, I was not able to operate the computer using the mouse, only the keyboard, so I was not able to backup what I wanted to. Is this because of missing drivers? What must I do to be able to use the mouse on the desktop computer that is connected to the laptop hard drive? Or is there another way to be able to backup the hard drive without using the mouse?

I haven't tried but I believe I can do a format on the HDD using the desktop computer with a Windows CD, since I am able to detect/run it through there. But I do want to be able to backup things before I format.

Any help appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Day

After all these years I finally realized the SATA laptop drives and desktop SATA drives can use the same power and data cables, when the laptop drive is used in a desktop PC :eek: The laptop drive MUST be set as a second drive NOT a boot drive. You can access the documents, music and picture folders just like any other folder or file and copy them to the C or boot drive

After all these years I finally realized the SATA laptop drives and desktop SATA drives can use the same power and data cables, when the laptop drive is used in a desktop PC :eek: The laptop drive MUST be set as a second drive NOT a boot drive. You can access the documents, music and picture folders just like any other folder or file and copy them to the C or boot drive

Finally, for over a month, I lived without my precious laptop, my first and last one; now it's "partially" fixed!

After backing up almost everything, if not all, from my Laptop HDD, I formatted it through the Desktop computer with Windows XP. After installation, I plugged it back into the laptop, and it said Operating system is missing, or something of the sort. I then tried to format the HDD through the laptop with the same CD, but like before, the laptop could not detect the HDD while prompted to select a drive to format.

So I decided to try one last thing: to format it back to Vista, which it was when I first had it.
But then came all the pain to make a bootable USB with the Vista CD files, since I did not have the one the came with the laptop, I probably lost it. In the end I figured it out and finally got the USB to boot Vista files. And finally it worked, it was detected by the laptop, and I formatted it. It runs in Vista just fine. I tested it for a few days and everything is smooth except for one single thing.

Every time I shut down the laptop and turn it on the next day, it boots until the windows loading screen, and then and BSOD appears for fraction of a second and the system reboots (just like what had happened before). And the first time this happened I got worried, when prompted I selected to boot Windows with the last known good configuration, and it didn't work (it showed a black screen without BSOD instead before rebooting). So I inserted the USB and used the Windows Vista Repair wizard, and I believe it restored the drive to a certain point (I still had a few programs installed).

The next day (being today), the same thing happened, except this time selecting to boot Windows using the last known good configuration worked. But every time I restored/booted it with the last known good configuration, the time and date is reset to March 2007, and so I'm not sure if I lose files, data or installed program that is present after the restore point every time I do restore.

Even though I still have such a problem with the laptop, I do thank you very much for the great help you've been, Tmagic650. I also learned a few things about the cables and stuff and quite some other stuff along with getting to know a little more about the command prompt, and I also got a few extra SATA cables while having to plug my laptop HDD into my Desktop computer.

Thank you very much for your help Tmagic650,
Day

Thanks for the update Day. I don't know why Vista worked and Windows 7 didn't. You might still have a problem with a dead CMOS battery

Back