Windows 7 running very slow

lthebmanl

Hey guys,

Last night I was watching a movie on my computer and fell asleep. This is common practice. I woke up several hours later to see my computer had froze. I was forced to perform a hard restart. Upon restart I noticed that Windows was configuring updates. It finished and I logged on. From there, the computer ran, and continues to run, painfully slow. Taking well over two minutes to respond to a ctrl-alt-del command.

I restarted the computer again and gave it 30 min while I ate breakfast. When I returned, the computer was still acting up. So I booted it up in safe mode. From there, I uninstalled the Windows updates. I also tried to uninstall the Microsoft Office 2007 updates but the installer was denied as it wasn't listed as a safe program.

I restarted the computer again and nothing changed. I do believe this issue is fixable because the computer ran great in safe mode. This just comes as very unexpected because I wasn't doing anything to the computer to cause this. The computer was running perfect before I went to sleep.

Thank you in advance for any help.

If it is doing well in Safe Mode we are most likely looking at a driver issue. However, it also could be an infection issue as well. Run your security software and scan for infections.

"So I booted it up in safe mode. From there, I uninstalled the Windows updates"...

This is a very bad thing to do... All this does is make Windows very unstable as you now know. You may have to re-install Windows fresh and then apply all the Windows Updates manually to date, including Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

It is not malware. I looked under event viewer and noticed I was getting a reoccurring error on a driver.

I only uninstalled windows updates that were installed that day.

This is the error I'm seeing in my event viewer. It was the only error that occurred approximately around the time my computer stopped responding.

Is it a good idea to uninstall the driver and reinstall it? I went into the device manager and it said that it was working fine. I disabled it along with a bunch of other drivers to see if my computer would start working properly and I haven't had any luck yet. Although, I haven't disabled all the drivers yet.

Here is the error message: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

Again, my computer is completely unresponsive when I start the computer in normal mode; however, the computer works fine in safe mode.

That error is calling the hard drive controller driver that is part of the motherboard drivers... Are the bios hard drive settings correct?

I also got this error:

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}

I'm looking for anymore.

Well, I just disabled all the drivers and tried running the computer in normal mode and it is still unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Yeah, thought about that but the computer came with Vista (no cd) already installed and my school installed Windows 7 for me (again, no cd). So reinstalling windows is not an option at this point.

"So reinstalling windows is not an option at this point"...

So you don't know anyone who has a Windows 7 disc handy? If not, be sure that a Windows re-install is your only option... at this point ;)

No. I don't know anyone with Windows 7. Everyone I know has either Vista or XP.

That's what I'm trying to determine right now, whether I can fix this without reinstalling Windows. There has to be some way to figure out why the computer is unresponsive in Normal mode but works fine in Safe...I'm so confused right now.

Keep an eye on that hard drive. It may happen again. If it does, replace the hard drive... Back up your important stuff regularly. You can put pictures, music, install files and documents on DVD's

Back