System32\config file missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My husband has a problem on his computer in that a message appears on bootup stating the following.
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
windows\system323\config\system"
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original CD ROM.
This he has done, put cd in and told to select R at the first screen to start repair,so that recovery console will work.
Unfortunately it goes through its program but no repair takes place. Can anyone help please.

His OS is XP Home

Same problem

Hi Xaghra,

Hope your problem is solved already. If not, it might help that I have the same problem.. anyone who can help?

Same file missing...
Start from Windows XP cd-rom...
Select r at first screen...
But... seems like my keyboard is no longer recognized, as the program doesn't start/proceed..

Anyone have any idea how to solve it? Keyboard works up until this screen so should be fine, I'd say..

Much appreciated,

Stefan

xaghra said:
Hi,
My husband has a problem on his computer in that a message appears on bootup stating the following.
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
windows\system323\config\system"
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original CD ROM.
This he has done, put cd in and told to select R at the first screen to start repair,so that recovery console will work.
Unfortunately it goes through its program but no repair takes place. Can anyone help please.

His OS is XP Home

Don't know if that works, but try to boot in Safe Mode.
In windows\system32\config\ you will find 2 files named:
system and
system.alt

Make a new directory, e.g. syssafe (anywhere you can find it again)
Copy both those system files in there.
Try to rename the file system to system-old and rename system.alt to system
Then try a reboot.

Thanks, but I can't get that far..

Tried safe mode, safe mode with command promt, even last known good config, which all give the same message (file missing or corrupt, \windows\system32\conifg\system)

Also, when following the procedure (notice that until now, my keyboard works) the screen where I select 'r' doesn't change.. think my keyboard isn't recognized?

If yours is an USB-keyboard, you may have a problem. Get a PS/2 keyboard to try instead.

Do a scan on your PC for system
You may have another older version to copy into that \windows\system32\config directory (e.g. from System Mechanic backup or \windows\repair)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back