Windows wont boot unless install CD is in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded most of the hardware in my machine, and reinstalled windows. Installation went fine and dandy until I took the CD out and rebooted to be confronted with a invalid boot disk error. BIOS is setup to boot from hard disk first, its the only hard disk on the channel, jumpers correct, and no other windows installs on another disk. Windows will load normally as long as it boots from CD, and then the HD. Any ideas?

Had the same prob recently. Look here.

Sounds like you're smitten with the same timing problem. Assuming you're using a standard IDE harddisk:
1. Check that your IDE cable is connected properly.
2. Check that your IDE cable meets the spec - 40 pins/80 wires, maximum length 45 cm.

Regards, Martin A

Centurio said:
Had the same prob recently. Look here.

Sounds like you're smitten with the same timing problem. Assuming you're using a standard IDE harddisk:
1. Check that your IDE cable is connected properly.
2. Check that your IDE cable meets the spec - 40 pins/80 wires, maximum length 45 cm.

Regards, Martin A

Wow, thanks. Odd thing though, I tried about 4-5 different IDE cables (From the new motherboard, hard drive, old ones I had lying around) and it still gave me the error, until I tried one of the round cables from my old PC like you had and presto! :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back