Cannot Install/Uninstall any Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) Hi,

My PC is having a bit of a mare at the moment. I haver just bought Battlefield 2 and I cant install it. It gets to the copying files part and the progress meter does nothing, there is no HDD activity at all.

In fact I cant actually uninstall anything either. I have tried from the start menu, and gone into the program folder to uninstall (it gets through a couple of dialog boxes and then the progress bar does nothing). I have also tried through add/remove programs with the same effect. This is the same for nearly every program that I want to get rid of (to create some additional free space until I can get a new, bigger HDD)

I am running XP Pro SP2, and only seem to have been having the issues since installing Norton IS2005 and Norton Password Manager 2004.

My CDRW and DVD seem to be working fine.

Can anyone please help, as I am about to throw my machine out of the window :)

Many thanks,
Glynn

Download AVG Free and the latest definitions.

Disconnect from the Net. Uninstall Norton and install AVG Free and update.

Hopefully all will be fine.

I tried that...

Two problems with that:

1) I cant uninstall Norton,
2) I cant install AVG Free.

I did run an online scan with Panda Software. It found three viruses and loads of spyware. The text of which is attached for info.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Best regards, Glynn

Virus:Trj/DeleteHD.B Disinfected Operating system
Adware:adware/p2pnetworking No disinfected C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GLYNN SEAL\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\p2psetup.exe
Adware:adware/gator No disinfected C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GLYNN SEAL\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\bundle.inf
Adware:adware/instafinder No disinfected C:\PROGRAM FILES\INSTAFINK
Adware:adware/need2find No disinfected C:\PROGRAM FILES\Need2Find
Adware:adware/myway No disinfected C:\PROGRAM FILES\MySearch
Spyware:spyware/altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Altnet
Spyware:spyware/cydoor No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\cdmxtras
Spyware:spyware/rxtoolbar No disinfected Windows Registry
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\Setup.exe
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\dmfiles.cab
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\dmfiles.cab[AltnetUninstall.exe]
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\dmfiles.cab[asmend.exe]
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\pmfiles.cab
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Altnet\pmfiles.cab[sysdetect.dll]
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Glynn Seal\Local Settings\Temp\__unin__.exe
Adware:Adware/P2PNetworking No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Glynn Seal\Local Settings\Temp\p2psetup.exe
Virus:Trj/DeleteHD.B Disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Glynn Seal\Local Settings\Temp\107.tmp
Adware:Adware/WUpd No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Glynn Seal\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\0OFXF4IK\7ad[1].htm
Adware:Adware/P2PNetworking No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Glynn Seal\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Z1K0DRF5\p2psetup[1].exe
Adware:Adware/Gator No disinfected C:\Program Files\Common Files\atmscfpf\rleobudd\ffcnnuqa.exe
Adware:Adware/Gator No disinfected C:\Program Files\Common Files\atmscfpf\amboqdlqsr\sqclnpftr.exe
Spyware:Spyware/Cydoor No disinfected C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Dummies\dummy.cd_clint.dll
Spyware:Spyware/Altnet No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{76F1E4B8-A421-42EA-BC95-0BE29905A397}\RP317\A0043801.dll
Adware:Adware/InstaFinder No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{76F1E4B8-A421-42EA-BC95-0BE29905A397}\RP317\A0043802.exe
Adware:Adware/InstaFinder No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{76F1E4B8-A421-42EA-BC95-0BE29905A397}\RP317\A0043803.dll
Virus:Trj/DeleteHD.B Disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{76F1E4B8-A421-42EA-BC95-0BE29905A397}\RP337\A0044576.exe
Dialer:Dialer.BL No disinfected Archive Folders\Received Crap\Hi there.\MyMovie.zip[My-Private-H0t-Movies.exe]
Dialer:Dialer.ST No disinfected D:\System Volume Information\_restore{DB6CCED3-2750-4901-8266-CA06A6523370}\RP2\A0000142.exe
Dialer:Dialer.CJ No disinfected D:\System Volume Information\_restore{DB6CCED3-2750-4901-8266-CA06A6523370}\RP2\A0000143.exe
Dialer:Dialer.BL No disinfected Archive Folders\Received Crap\Hi there.\MyMovie.zip[My-Private-H0t-Movies.exe]

These are very basic instructions:
Get HijackThis from www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/; it MUST have its own directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\HJT
It comes in a zip-file, but does not need installation. Just unzip it in its OWN directory.

See How to post your Hijackthis log-files as an attachment.

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.
Run HJT and save the logfile as instructed.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Clean out the cache of Internet Explorer and delete all cookies.
Boot normal.
Leave System Restore OFF.
Post your HJT-log here as per instructions.

whirlpool1 said:
:)

My PC is having a bit of a mare at the moment. I haver just bought Battlefield 2 and I cant install it.

In fact I cant actually uninstall anything either.

Check the obvious first; are you logged into an Admin account
Control Pannel -> User Accounts
Login shows up on the right as Limited Or Administrator

HiJackThis log attached...

Hiya,
Thanks for the assistance. I can confirm that I am logged in as a Computer Administrator, so install/uninstall should be no problem (normally).

I have followed RealBlackStuff's instructions and attached the log as follows:

Many thanks,
Glynn

Attachments

• hijackthislog.txt
    20.1 KB · Views: 16
Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.

Next, open Windows Task Manager.
On Windows 95/98/ME, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
On Windows NT/2000/XP, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
Click the Processes tab, select the process (if there) and click End Process for:
PowerReg Scheduler.exe

Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:
...................................................................................................
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
F3 - REG:win.ini: run=
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://kc.bar.need2find.com/KC/menusearch.html?p=KC
Fix ALL your O16 - DPF: entries
...................................................................................................
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT. Exit HJT.

When done, from between the above dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold file.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

That's fixed it

RealBlackStuff - you are the man! My PC is happily installing and unistalling again... I wonder if its too late to cancel that 200GB HDD I just ordered - :haha:
If I'm ever in Dublin I'll get you a guiness in :)

Many thanks,
Glynn

Cannot Install Programs.. Microsoft word hangs

Hi,

Can somebody please help me? It happened after I installed my ipod and itunes. It started with my Msn not being able to function and after I uninstalled it, I was unable to install it again. And I am unable to install other programs too. Whenever I reach the User License Agreement, the program installation shuts down.

Also, My Word hangs!!

PLease help!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back