MovieLand wants $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo Ice

Hi. I turn my computer on today and a window called Payment Notice comes up. No way to close it [no X, no Alt+F4, right clicking on taskbar opens the window] other than 3 finger and end task...OR pay them. I never installed this, but according to their site, I'm still responsible to pay. And looking at thier installer, there is no place to read terms and conditions until after installing. Hmmm. Nothing in Mangae Add-Ons or Add/Remove Software. Is there any way out of this without paying? I'm planning on reformatting anyway, so the software isn't a problem, it's just, I figure you guys know a lot about these scams, and am wondering if I REALLY need to pay. THANKS

This sounds like some kind of scam to me.

It would seem that your computer may be infected with malware.

First have your computer scanned with this online scanner. Trend Houscall online scanner.

When you have done that, go and read both these threads by RBS. Follow all the instructions exactly.

How to remove Trojans and its ilk! and How to remove Begin2search / coolwebsearch and other nasties.

Once you have completed the above see How to post your Hijackthis log-file as an ATTACHMENT.

Regards Howard :) :)

Sorry, no specific advice because I've never seen this before and can't google it with the info you've given.

It's NOT normal behaviour for XP (or any other windows version) though. The chances on this NOT being a scam of some sort are a million or more to one.

I'm not really worried about what will happen to my computer. This is the tablet pc that I've been meaning to reinstall XP on for months now, and am going to take it to CompUSA next week. All I'm worried about is if they have any information so they could hurt my credit report or come after me....like they claim will happen. I'll get hijack this though and post a log tomorrow.

I wouldn`t worry too much.

Lets say you did owe money to some company.

The company would almost certainly contact you either by phone/letter. Not by means of a pop up.

Regards Howard :) :)

I am having the same trouble as you, Bloo.

At least I know I'm not the only one. They are demanding payment no matter what saying I am responsible.

Let us know how you worked it out. Good luck.

They got me too!

My ***** of a friend put this on my computer (no offense meant to those who have done the same). After looking at the web site (movieland.com) terms and conditions as well as reading through the customer service section, which is in fact several links all leading to the same conclusion which is PAY!!IF YOU DONT PAY YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW SO PAY!! PAY FOR A YEAR OR A MONTH OR JUST PAY 20 BUCKS FOR US TO LEAVE YOU ALONE. JUST PAY!! - I've decided that these guys are full of BS. So I'm not too worried about the legal consequences, but I would love to know how to remove their "billing software" Ive run spybot, adware, hijack and the recommendations on this thread. NOTHIN!!! Any other suggestions would be appreciated. And really guys, until you get something in the mail or speak to someone on the phone, don't worry. Then we can all make a trip to the attourney generals office. It will be fun:)

check your registry for unusual files. remove them (be careful messing with the registry can jack your computer)
Run spybot and ad-aware

Rightclick anywhere on the desktop, and UNtick Active Desktop.
You may loose your pretty background, but hey!
If it's gone, check for unusual files with .htm or .html extension in your Windows directory.
Remember, this is only a suggestion!

Stupid Payment Notice is making me crazy

I finally clicked on "Continue" without checking a payment option and it gave me an error message with the URL of the site.

I went to the site and viewed the source.

Can we decipher anything from that?

Or is there a legal action that we can take?

Seems like there are many other affected by this. I've read some complaints on some other forums.

I NEVER downloaded that or have even seen that website. No one else uses this computer.
And the date and time it says I downloaded is a work day and no one was home.

How do you get rid of this???

:giddy: For two days I have had this woman pop up on my computer asking for money...I am aprehensive about going into the registry to delete and have run adaware and spybot, as well as virus scan, but cannot get rid of this movieland/mediapipe/alt payments thing. No one was even home when this shows it was downloaded onto the puter...any advise for a mom who is ready to tear her hair out??? THanks

did you even try realblackstuff's and our advice?

we can't remove it for you. Only you can.
You will have to go into the registry. Some trojan horses can only be removed this way.

It worked! It worked! (I think)

I took realblackstuff's advice and went to the site (techguy) he mentioned.

I followed techguy's directions and I think it worked! :bounce:

I did it yesterday and I have yet to see that stupid woman demanding money from me.

The directions are pretty long and detailed, so print them out before you do it.

hey, I did it!!! I got out with out paying one red cent! What I did was go to the customer service site, had to go to moveiland.com. When is goes there is does an authentification process and then you can send an Email. I had to do it twice, but finally got a reply Email tonight that said:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using MovieLand.
Your contract has been successfully cancelled
- You will no longer receive payment reminders
- Access to MovieLand content has been disabled
- You have no further financial obligation
Customer Support
Contact@movieland.com

I don't normally go on sites like this, but this thing got under my skin so bad that I thought I should spread the word on how to solve the problem.
Good Luck!!!!

Jslocum said:
hey, I did it!!! I got out with out paying one red cent! What I did was go to the customer service site, had to go to moveiland.com. When is goes there is does an authentification process and then you can send an Email. I had to do it twice, but finally got a reply Email tonight that said: ...
Did you have something to do with Movieland in the first place?

If you didn't, now they got your e-mail address, and can use it to send more spam.

I would have just disabled the Active Desktop (or web content on desktop, whatever it's called) and not send any e-mails.

Getting another Email from them is the least of my worries. Having that woman holding up progress on my PC was very annoying. I think they got the message that I do not want any part of their website and do not want to hear from them again.
I hesitate to do all that other stuff, they got to me through my IP address. I never signed up for anything, there was nothing from them on my PC.
I guess I would say - to each his own.

hot to get rid of it!..........

Ok,

I havent read through every single reply on here but heres what you have.

The movieland software is basically a portal for downloads of wallpapers, smilies and other 'fun products'. The chances are that your child or someone else using your system CHOSE to download it.
Having said that , its a pain in hte **** and you need to get rid of it.

So, heres how i got rid of mine after my nephew unwittingly did the same to my machine.

The exe fiel that runs in the form of 'payment notice' is in the following location. In order to get rid of it, you'll need to boot your machine into 'safe mode' (google it if your not sure how to do that) and delete the folder that that exe fiel sits in.

Heres a handy tool you might want to download. This is how i found out the exact path to the exe file. it basically gives you a list of every single 'process' that is currently running on your machine. So, i waited till the payment notice popped up and then started this application and got the path to the exe file.

The sofware is called Security Task Manager :-

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/regonline.html

Its a 30 day trial but its worth buying it i think.

Anyway, the path the exe fiel you need to delete is as follows :-

C:\Program Files\AltPayments\AltPayments.exe.

Boot into safe mode and delete the entire folder and that should sort it. There is obviously some stuff in the registry too but not sure how to get rid of that but if it cant find the exe at least you dont get that f:##ing annoying popup :)

Hope that helps

Fair enough!!

If you have the time then perhaps you could POST A LINK to it rather than making randomn comments.

That way it HELPS people you see :) lol

P.S Task manager is free if ya know what ya doing ;)

Hey Jslocum,
I tried doing what you did and went to the customer service site and pressed the button (I never signed up for this service, I would like to cancel). But it came up with a message stating my Date of software installation, Time of software installation and my IP address. But i didn't install it and didn't agree to any terms and conditions.
What should i do???????

get rid of payment reminder

I have contacted the FTC (Federal Trade Commision) and was assured that Movieland is a legitimate company. What they have done is find a loophole in the current laws to try to trap people into paying (not the first or last to try). I was also assured that their threats of credit hindering are bogus. They are just hoping for a certain percentage of people to pay without ever investigating it. They have no age verification process for their "pay for" product and their claims would never hold up in court. That is precisely why they have a "cancel link" at their home website. For those that don't know:
1) task manager, end program (to get it off your screen)
2) enter homesite: www.movieland.com
3) bottom right of page, "click here"
4) "general customer support issues"
** at this point you DO NOT have to fill anything in
5) "submit"
6) click "free instant cancel"
your problems will be over and they will not have your e-mail address!!

hockeymom862 said:
:giddy: For two days I have had this woman pop up on my computer asking for money...I am aprehensive about going into the registry to delete and have run adaware and spybot, as well as virus scan, but cannot get rid of this movieland/mediapipe/alt payments thing. No one was even home when this shows it was downloaded onto the puter...any advise for a mom who is ready to tear her hair out??? THanks
you will have to enter the registry to eliminate spyware/adware sometimes.

for the movieland virus:

search on your c drive for AltPayment*.* and delete all files.
boot into safe mode
turn off system restore
go to regedit and delete all references to altpayment
exit
do a search for mediapipe on your c drive and delete all references to it. use any uninstallers that pop up.
go back into regedit and delete all references to mediapipe
you should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back