Intergrated Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello. I was wondering... is the speed of intergrated graphics processing based on the processor make and model? My system uses intergrated graphics and runs very slowly.

Looking at your specs,I`d say your in serious need of more memory.128MB is not enough for anything,certainly not when 32 MB is shared video.Given the price of SDRAM nowadays,I`d say a new video card would be a better option.

I don't think you need a totally new system... you just need a videocard and much more ram. Hell, I didn't think they even had 128 mb sticks anymore... AND by what it says in your specs, you uses it for emulators so its not like you're gonna need a 7800GTX or anything.

Now, the motherboard is an i845G chipset with a Celeron Processor~2500mhZ with 128KB of L2 cache, 128 MB of ram~200 mhZ, and an Intergrated soundcard (Realtek AC'97). I recently upgraded the onboard audio to a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit soundcard. A for upgrading the video card, I can't. The motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot and only comes with standard PCI slots (no PCI-Express). With this info, what is the best thing to do besides buying a new motherboard? Also, what are my upgrade options? (P.S. I recently started playing 3D-intensive games)

You're playing 3D games with an Intel 845GL graphics system! Good luck at getting anything more than a few FPS on most modern games, I must say that I'd rather set myself on fire rather than use integrated graphics for games. At a minimum get 512MB of memory as your integrated solution is grabbing 32MB of your puny 128MB before you even start running a program.

The type of game I play is RTS games like C&C: Generals and C&C: Generals Zero Hour. I get somewhat good performance, aside from regular lockups due to the CPU becoming overloaded with data.

I'd say if you upgrade the memory it'll be a whole lot better as even thought you're using a Celeron 2.5 I suspect the slowdowns start happening when your system runs out of RAM and starts using the swapfile on the HD.

Ummm....I use 128MB PC3200 memory(~200mhZ). I only have a extra 128MB PCI100 stick and a 32 MB PCI66. Can I use this memory in conjunction with the other memory (use it in a Celeron 2.5ghZ processor with 400mhZ FSB)? If i can't, what kind of memory should I get (the motherboard only has 2 slots)

Sorry to make a double post...but strangely, the card has exceptional performance in some apps running at 1024x768x16~85HZ with the desktop at the same resolution, bit depth and refresh rate.....

You should definitely get more RAM. Aim for the fastest your motherboard can support that’s Pc2100 DDR 266 isn't it? Your motherboard supports up to one gig
in 2x512 at most and you should really consider no less than 256mb. Here's some
RAM for your specific motherboard http://www.memoryx.net/asp4mome87.html. Alternatively match your current 128mb stick with an identical one.
Different brands sometimes work fine but it's never a sure thing.

Tedster said:
never mix speeds, type, brands, or size of memory.

That is NOT true. In most cases, while the system may run slower, you can mix different memory speeds (to a limit), different brands, and different sizes. I had much sucess running a system with PC100 SDRAM memory and PC66 SDRAM memory: 1 was 128MB non generic ram, and the other was a 32MB generic brand. The computer didn't even complain. So while it's never a sure thing, it's worrth a try.

Your right I’ve done it before, Still you shouldn't buy different kinds of memory unless you are sure it will work if you have it lying around there's no harm in trying though. So have you decided what to do yet?

Well definitely buy more memory. Are you running WinXP? What is your budget for upgrades?

Here is some memory worth looking into.
Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200 $33.25
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145026)

As far as PCI graphics your options are limited and so is performance.
This one here is a pretty cheap upgrade...$62
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133134)

Or there is this one for $77 but it has 2x the memory of the other one
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150061)

You are looking at about $100 for the upgrades.

Also...i need to know...

1. Which one will have better performance (I already know that the PCI bus is slow, but I have no choice)?
2. Is my Celeron 2.5ghZ up to speed with these two graphics cards? (I don't want my processor to be a bottleneck)
3. Which one has better features? (I need one that i can overclock, basically

Okay...well the eVGA card that you listed above only has 64-bit memory interface (it is under the detailed specs tab). This is very important as it will greatly reduce performance. On the PNY card that you specified they do not state the memory interface, however it should be the same as the one I listed above. The only difference is that the one I listed has passive cooling (no fan) and the one you listed has a fan. Fans are noisier but provide better cooling. Assuming the same memory interface I would go with the PNY card that you listed. Too bad you cannot swap comps. with grandma.

The PNY does look like the better option alright. Seeing as it can't really have lower than a 64 bit memory interface we can assume it's at least equal. Although I can't be certain it appears that the PNY is 128 bit judging by its size. Also I noticed the EVGA has a DVI monitor port while the PNY has 2 CRT connections. You probably have an analogue monitor so DVI would be completely useless although it is a slightly better option.

Ummmmm.....is the PNY card a true PCI graphics card? Also, will it take up more than 1 slot on my motherboard. Finally, will this card produce a lot of heat? I only have a CPU fan.

The PNY card will take up one slot and I wouldn't worry about heat with its fan unless you don't have a system fan. As for being a true pci card I think it meets most of the criteria from what’s visible in the photos but it's hard to know.

(Old Post: Thanks) New Post: Mem upgrade Finally!

( Old Post:Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.) New Post: Hello Everyone!
I finally got a 512MB PC2100 memory stick for my mobo. Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back