No Post Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Post, No Beep. Bad MoBo?

after reading many threads about this subject i feel i should describe the problem i'm having, to know what my course of action should be.

i don't know for sure what was the cause of the malfunction but it started as system lock-ups and now the computer won't even power up. it seemed like video-card problems at first, because everything would freeze when i tryed to watch movies, and video problems could be noticed. yesterday after trying to deal with this video problem in lots of ways, i tryed to turn the computer on and nothing happened, no beeps and no post. when i push the power button the cpu fan and the psu fan rotate for half a second and then stop. i have to cut the power to the psu and reconnect it in order to try again. sometimes the power does go through but still no beep or post.

i tryed removing the cmos battery (all the removing done with power off in case you were wondering) and replacing it later, changing the jumpers to reset the bios (after doing those things i started getting more power ons than before), taking all out except what is absolutelly necessary, leaving only the cpu. tryed adding the ram, then tryed adding the video card... nothing works. i wonder if the video-card is needed for the POST BEEP to be heard. anyway, the main reason why i'm posting this is because i wanted to find out what is the defective piece here, as i suspect the mobo, the PSU, video-card or CPU (or RAM?).

it's important for me to know if the video-card and the ram are needed for the post beep to be heard. if not, then i can focus on the mobo, cpu and psu. the psu does work sometimes as i mentioned so i don't know if that's the problem and now i think it's the mobo or the cpu. hope you guys can help. many thanks in advance! ;)

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Could we get the details of these componants?
A shot in the dark---it might be the MoBo.
Yes vid card is needed, unless you have onboard vid.

mobo is asus a7v8x-x
vidcard is nvidia geforce fx 5700
cpu AMD 2400+
1 Gb RAM (2x500mb)

hummm it's good to know the vidcard is needed because that means i should try with it if i expect any result. the problem is that this way it gets more difficult to know where the problem is...

I recommend trying these componants in a known working system, if at all possible. psu, cpu, ram, vid card.
This would help to narrow it down abit.

I had this problem with my old computer, with practically the same configuration as urs. What you should probably try, because you have 2X500MB Ram, try them 1 by 1. AMD seems to frig up with dual RAM.

i tryed using just one of the memory cards... i tryed using none too.. i think i tryed every combination possible.. if it was the RAM i think i'd hear some beeps, i've had problems with RAM before there is a specific beep warning for it. i also had problems with video card before (it was not properly attached) and another beep warning sounds. since i get no beeps anymore i suspect the problem to be the MOBO or the CPU. as i get no power at all most of the times as i explained (the fan only turns for half a second) i'm also thinking about trying another PSU before i take it to any computer repair shops.

socrates, i am using my sister's computer but i doubt she'll let me swith her cpu for mine, and i don't even know if they're compatible since this is a very old computer (cpu 750+). i'm thinking about taking it to a computer repair shop, but i didn't want to do that before i knew what was wrong because sometimes they do make things up just to get more money out of you.

ASUS is extemely particular about the brands of memory it will accept. I owned your board before and got fed up with the particulars.... I went MSI and never looked back.
I'd be willing to bet it doesn't like your memory brand. RTFM to determine what it will accept.

i don't think that's the problem because as i said before i used it normaly for a long time, and when i did have problems with the ram some time ago, i'd hear some beeps to warn me about it. now i get no beeps at all.

if your motherboard won't even post with the minimum hardware, then I'm afraid it's shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back