Windows XP stuck in Classic Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Hi

My Windows XP home version is stuck in classic mode ie I no longer have the Windows XP task bar and so on. If I rightclick on desktop>properties>appearence my only option is Windows classic style. Clicking on themes then selecting Windows XP theme simply changes the background wallpaper. If I click on the desktop tab the properties window mysteriously disappears.

I've tried changing visual effects settings in rightclick my computer>properties>advanced>performance etc but nothing changed.

I did have some spyware that was affecting my system. It was SpySheriff and Winstall.exe. I used the process described by this guy to remove it; http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic22402.html . After step 8 I rebooted in normal mode as he said and that is when it loaded in classic view and after following the rest of his steps it was still stuck in classic view.

Since doing the above steps I have tried other spyware programs etc and they all mysteriously close half way through and scans, none have been able to finish for some unknown reason. I also have no restore points (why did I stop it :( ).

Can anyone help me restore my Windows XP desktop view

Sai said:
Hi I have tried other spyware programs etc and they all mysteriously close half way through and scans, none have been able to finish for some unknown reason.
Did you scan in safe mode ?

Kelly`s Korner has several fixes for the classic theme problem Stuck in classic view and Restore themes functionality and Troubleshootingt themes

Sai said:
I also have no restore points (why did I stop it :( ).
In England it`s called Sod`s law.In Ireland it`s called Murphy`s law.In the U.S it`s call "Dubyas law"

Peddant said:
Did you scan in safe mode ?

Kelly`s Korner has several fixes for the classic theme problem Stuck in classic view and Restore themes functionality and Troubleshootingt themes

In England it`s called Sod`s law.In Ireland it`s called Murphy`s law.In the U.S it`s call "Dubyas law"

I have since scanned in safe mode and that cleaned a few things out but after restarting i now have other spyware. I think its called Spyware Quake 2.1 and some advertising spyware that i think might be associated with it :(

This is realy starting to get anoying :(

Oh and none of the above reg files helped :(

Also i dont know how to post my HijackThis log any other way apart from posting it on here so i apologise if this anoys anyone but i realy need help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back