is the nvidia 6200 good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hello, I'm looking for an upgrade to a friend's computer that has a dead video card, it was an nVidia Ti 4200, he is on a budget so no expensive ones, i look at this video card at a store PNY nVidia 6200 for about 49.99 but not so sure about the performance of this GPU, will this card be able to run AOE 3, NFS MW, and some games like that, what do you think or suggest?

BTW here are his PC specs:
MOBO MSI PM8M-V AGP 8x
2.4 Celeron 478 Skt
512MB DDR PC 3200
PSU 500W 26A 12V

Thx!

It is a low end card (I had one), although it should be able to run those programs, but only on medium settings.

If he has a Ti4200, then that would suggest he has an AGP slot.

I would not recommend a 6200 AGP (or worse yet, PCI) for that system as an "Upgrade" as his Ti4200 actually has similar performance. The 6200 has a few extra features but is a lower performing card overall.

A better choice if he's on a tight budget would be the 9600 Pro: $56
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102410

Also, here is Tom's hardware VGA charts. As you can see, a 9600 Pro can offer a 200-300% improvement over a Ti4200 and also has support for Direct3D 9.0:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/page5.html#3dmark_2003

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the suggestions, any suggestions for nVidia? I have a 9600XT that I no longer use and I'll install on his computer and see how the games perform, but when I had it on my computer I have a lot of frame skipping and lag on the middle on a game, (AOE III, NFS MW) but I always used max settings, maybe if I decrease the settings for him that card will do fine. He's not looking to have max settings enabled, just want to play decently those games. Thx!

rmdl51 said:
Thank you for the suggestions, any suggestions for nVidia? I have a 9600XT that I no longer use and I'll install on his computer and see how the games perform, but when I had it on my computer I have a lot of frame skipping and lag on the middle on a game, (AOE III, NFS MW) but I always used max settings, maybe if I decrease the settings for him that card will do fine. He's not looking to have max settings enabled, just want to play decently those games. Thx!

The 9600XT should be able to outperform the 6200.

If your PC that you're taking the 9600XT out of has a decent power supply, NVidia has a number of good 7-series AGP cards to fit just about any budget.

Just avoid any "LE" of the series as these are usually lower performing or stripped in some way.

As you're giving your friend your 9600XT, what's YOUR budget for your NVidia replacement?

Also, I'm unsure if what you've described will be solved by upgrading your videocard. The hitching/pausing you are talking about is most often attributed to memory/cpu, pagefile or motherboard issues. It's quite possible upgrading your videocard will remain with the same problems and still the need for more fixes/upgrades to solve. You may want to post a NEW thread on your own PC and describe it's problems plus full system specs (Everest can be downloaded to determine this) and we can help you diagnose your issues... or if they're just from trying to push the 9600XT a bit too hard hehe.

Cheers

Oh well! Thanks a lot Sharkfood, but my issue was solved a couple of Months ago, I replaced my 9600XT by a 7800 GS, even I spend 300 bucks on it, it's worth every penny, I have no problems now, and I can run almost everything on it, even Oblivion at High Settings, I have a P4 3.4ghz MOBO Asus P4P800-E Deluxe 3GB DDR PC3200 and PSU 550W 26A 12V, so my only problem was my 9600XT, can't handle new games at max settings, but now I can :D .
So, my point was that if I no longer use my 9600XT I'll try it on my friend's PC and see how it works, because he has a slower CPU and way much less Memory, but if the 9600XT doesn't work quite good on his system then maybe I would look something for him for around $80-$90, that's why I'm looking for more options. So this are his options:

1-Try the 9600XT, if works ok, he'll buy that card.
2-If 9600 don't work good enough. Look for an nvidia card (because 9600Pro isn't any better than XT right?and better forgot about the 6200)
3-If not available any nvidia card for the budget, I guess he'll wait a couple of weeks to get something much better.

BTW, I really suggest him to get a stick of 1GB of RAM

hi i also have the nvidia 6200 i play Ah2 the game crashes after a few minuts. I got this. error message: stop 0x000000ea thread-stuck-in-device-driver (Q293078) can this be fixed or shall i just toss in a handgranaid. just kidding.

any help would be apreciated.
john

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back