Firefox or Internet Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrasherFan22

Im getting a custom pc in about a month and was wordering. Which internet browser should i use on it. I have heard that you dont get microsoft updates with firefox(i have never used firefox) and i have always used IE. Which should i use. Thanks in advance. :confused:

I`d recommend you use Firefox and only use IE for Windows updates and the odd site that doesn`t work with Firefox.

Regards Howard :)

Yes, you need to be able to use both browsers. make sure you have at least IE6 or IE7(the latest version of IE).

Regards Howard :)

You really don't even have to ever use IE, you can just set Windows to automatically download updates. (you don't have to have them auto install if you don't want).

yea.... i use firefox and i dont even have IE installed. Windows updates are not problem. This is with XP.... dont know about vista. I definetly suggest Firefox, it has an extensive range of plugins, and is constantly updated. Never had a problem with it.

If you want to know more... i remember reading and in depth comparison between ie7 and firefox not too long ago. it was somewhere in cnet downloads website. (sorry no link)

thanks, be patient

I prefer Opera over Firefox. More features and it has a cleaner look. But anything is better than using IE6 I suppose....

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I prefer Opera over Firefox. More features and it has a cleaner look. But anything is better than using IE6 I suppose....

Same thing I was going to suggest! I like Opera much better than Firefox.

Opera user here too. I don't like the idea of having a browser with less functionality than Netscape Navagator 3 that you have to add on each component to get it to do anything beyond go to a webpage. With Opera 90% of the 'essential' Firefox extentions are built into the browser. Not to mention Opera is far less buggy.

I understand wanting a simple browser with no extras, but people that run Firefox like that are a huge minority.

I'm a firefox user. i don't use IE6 or 7 for updates. my pc operates with disabled auto update as it speeds up startup etc. nevertheless i do use my AV programme's vulnerability check to inform me of needed updates, only then do i activate auto update. so IE isn't needed again.
anyway after all that burble, it comes down to preference

SNGX1275 said:
With Opera 90% of the 'essential' Firefox extentions are built into the browser. Not to mention Opera is far less buggy.

I understand wanting a simple browser with no extras, but people that run Firefox like that are a huge minority.
these are your opinions.
Personally, I dislike the delayed display of Opera waiting for ALL content downloads to complete.

I have IE 6, FF 1.5.0.9, NS 8.1 and Opera 9.10 with FF as my default browser.

SNGX1275 said:
... you can just set Windows to automatically download updates. (you don't have to have them auto install if you don't want).
IMO, AutoDownload or AutoUpdate are poor choices; I personally use the
CUSTOM review and install choice everytime which necessitates IE6.
May people autoinstalled the IE7 upgrade, not knowing that MS forced that upon
the community. Many have regressed back to IE6 due to problems with IE7.

I use IE7 and I also have Microsoft Updates set for notify only... When I do access Microsoft Updates manually, I always choose Custom to view current offerings

I like Firefox over IE now, less ads poping : D
combine with spyblocker = very good

Heres a snap shot of my Firefox browser set up. I wanna see Opera browser set up and other firefox set up too :=]

Opera.jpg

Firefox is what I use for my needs. Although for work several different applications are only functional with IE. Keep both of them just in case.

I mainly use IE.

It seems that with FF, when you fill info into a form(s), then without submitting it go to a different page, then hit back, it doesn't have the filled in info. IE does, I think.

I had downloaded IE7; I like it the same or better. But my brother who uses this computer didn't like it, so I'm using IE6.

you're going to have to use IE for some websites that aren't universally compliant and also windows updates, but alternative browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, Opera are all good choices and tend to be more secure than IE.

I wanna share with yall with this finding, not sure if anyone are using it but I just disovery it today. Its for Firefox user, but may be use for Opera and IE too, not sure.

The neat extension add on is call MSTS-Dictionary, it build in dictionary for your web browser. You can access it just by a single click x 3 :]
heres the link
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4175/

Opera doesn't have that. But you can double click any word and a menu appears where you can look it up with an encyclopedia or dictionary, and also translate to several languages. It will also read your selection to you if you want (although you may have to have Opera download something for that, but don't worry you don't have to manually install, opera takes care of it for you).
Opera2.png

kitty500cat said:
What's so much better about alternative browsers? Security? Features?
Not criticizing, just wondering
Both. Have you looked at our Security and the Web forum? I'd guess that well over 3/4 of the problems there are caused by using Internet Explorer. Something you could do is run ad-aware to clean out any crap you have on your system then spend 20 or 30 minutes going to various websites all over the internet with IE and then run ad-aware again. Now do the same thing with Opera or Firefox and compare the results.

The arguments against IE got less powerful with the release of IE 7. But they were releasing features in IE 7 that Opera has had for years, tabbed browsing was pretty much invented by Opera, and it still handles it the best of any browser in my opinion, Firefox has had it for years as well.

Just download Opera and spend 2 minutes in the Tools -> Appearance area to make it look like something you want, and then use it exclusively for a week. Try Firefox if you want too, but I'd argue it is more difficult to get it to do what you want. If you go back to IE after that I'd be suprised, but at least you'll see what the other side is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back