file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I had a problem with a virus so I reinstalled win XP Pro. Then before installing or running any programs I ran AVG Virus software and remove the virus. Then installed the basic peripheral software and everything was working great.
I shut down the PC and remove the ATI 7500 Video card to look for the SN#.
Next I replaced the video card and booted the PC.
That’s when I got this error – Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Using a readntfs boot disk I got to the A: prompt. When I tried to go to the C: drive from the A: prompt I got this message: Drive C: not responding out of internal memory. I tried using the six floppy disk windows XP setup but it would always stop (freeze) on the third or forth floppy disk.

I tried one more time to get to the C: drive from the A: prompt, got the same message: Drive C: not responding out of internal memory.
So I thought to try and see if the D: drive is there and got the same message D: drive not responding out of internal memory.

So if the C: prompt is not responding I can’t copy the missing ntoskrnl.exe to the C: drive

20 gb Maxtor alone on the IDE 1 slot for the OS.
Drive D: is on the IDE 2 slot
And I have two other drives on PCI IDE card

I hope this is enough and not too much, thanks.

I have had this happen to me (I think it was after defrag).

I booted up with the XP CD into recovery mode and then ran chkdsk /r
It appeared to solve my problem though I am not sure what happened and why this fixed it.

It is worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back