Help! Removal of JS/Downloader.Agent and Downloader.Istbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
AH! so my AVG popped up 2 times now informing me that I caught the JS/Downloader.Agent. And once about Downloader.Istbar. My poor computer is being attacked! Can someone help me remove these? Many thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as Attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of brendada only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

so i'm in step 6, however, the AVG says: "Failed to connect to server" when trying to update. I installed the manual version as well, but it still says that. should i just continue on?

Yes, just skip that and continue with the rest of the instructions.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of brendada only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

here are my results:
nothing from the panda rootkit

the rest are word doc attachments

also, I have older versions of spybot and adaware, should i delete these? And should I keep everything that i downloaded? Also, should I switch the AVG anti-spyware back to active?

ok..so i just got another virus..trojan horse lop.ds. how can i get rid of this?

Taken from step15 HERE.

[center]Please note: HJT and any other logs must not be posted as .doc files. This is due to the risk of viruses etc.[/center]
I have therefore removed your .doc files and suggest you repost the log files with either a .log or .txt extension.

Download and run this Symantec/Norton removal tool.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Viewpoint toolbar/manager or any thing else that says viewpoint.

Close control panel.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Viewpoint Manager Service

Close the services window.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or folders(if there).

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
C:\windows\downloaded program files\popcaploader.dll

Click start/run and type regedit into the run box and press the enter key. When the window appears maximise it.

Navigate to the following regkeys and delete the bold portion(if there).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\mswspl

Close regedit.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post fresh Combofix and HJT logs.

i'm having trouble finding out the year of my symantec anti virus it is the 8.0.1.429 corporate edition. I'm trying to search for it online, but is there an easier way? I can't seem to find much help in my search

re JS/downloader agent

Like so many others AVG has discovered this virus on my computer. I do have access to online banking but rarely use it. My password is not on the computer but is entered manually each time I look at my account. Can I get away with cleaning the computer? Does reformat mean a complete reinstall of all software including windows? From this you will gather that I am not a techie but neither am I stupid. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back