Replaced processor, now doesn't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

striderx240

I'm new here, but i recently replaced my processor and now my comp doesn't even boot up. Well..everything seems to be working right, but no monitor response and it seems it little bit quieter, if that helps haha. So any suggestions??

I'm not sure... I looked at the processor and it said, AMD Athon AX16000MT3c and my couputer is a compaq 6000 presario. sorry thats all the info i know about my comp. i hope that helps..can anyone help?

Well that may be a partial answer right there. When you replaced your processor did you just take it off and then put it back on, or did you aquire a new processor and replace the old one?

There are many Compaq Presario 6000s. Which one do you have?

oh, all i did was take it off and put it back on, i wanted to see if i could swap processors, but they were different. Mine is a presario 6015us. Thanks for the help Cinders

Does anyone else have any idea what's wrong with my computer? I need to fix my comp asap because i need to do my hw. haha Thanks for the help guys

OK, this is an area that I know prett good am glad to help... You have to be careful when doing this for many reasons.. One of which you might have to either reinstall your OS or at least reactivate it.. Still if you can not at least post, you might have to change a jumper on your motherboard... Look for a serial # on your mobo and google it or put the old cpu back in and boot your system and google a free program called "SIW" it will tell you your mobo amd then we can determine if it supports the cpu you tried... I will be here all night so if you want, lets do this thing...

Well.. I wanted to swap processors, but I found out that they weren't compatible so i just popped my old one back in. Now it doesn't work, when I turn it on, the fans come on the green light turns on and my cd drive works, well.. i can open it up at least. And my monitor doesn't respond at all.

my motherboard is a "Compaq S462 AMD Athlon XP Motherboard 261671-001" im not sure about my processor though. Could my processor be fried?

Ok, I want you to do several things.... As far as I know, your pc worked fine up until you took the cpu out and tried the swap... If this is correct there should be no problems unless you either mishandled the cpu... What did you do with it after you removed it? You just can't set it down on anything or put it anywhere. I mean you can and get away with it but, you run the risk of a static attack which will fry it. I am trying to find some info on your mobo... I have several images of what might be yours I will try to insert one and tell me if it is yours. You have a socket 462 as far as I can tell. even though these are out of date I like them and I running one now. If it is fried I will give you one... I have a whole @*%$#@ load of them... First off, make sure it is seated right. Second off NEVER insert a cpu without having the heatsink on it and the fan hooked up. An amd will fry in a sec! You said everything starts and runs...OK, tyr taking the ram out and then booting up. If you get no beeps, it is a sign that your toasted... Tell me what your cpu says on it and I will send you one free.....

Umm after I removed it, i set it on my table, which is made out of glass then i wiped the grease from it with toilet paper, yeah i think i fried it, i took out my ram and boot it up and i heard no beeps. I looked at my cpu and it says "AMD Athlon AX1600DMT3c...is that right? Are you serious about sending me one? Thank you man

Yeah, I will send you one... Like I said I am an AMD fan and I have been building and upgrading as $ allows. I started out wit a 333mhz socket 7 and 128 mb ram running W2k. I am now running a athlon xp 3200+ with 2gb of ram and I just got a new AGP graphics card today. I am like the neighborhood geek that everybody comes to for repair or upgrade stuff as well as a basic setup. I have a 1200 which is slightly less then you had but at least it will get you running. I don't mind doing it for you. No prob... What I want you to do is contact me through athrowaway e-mail so I do not get spammed by posting it here... We will go from there. it is jimmy.kolo@yahoo.com

Glad to help you..... I might even to dig a better mobo combo up for you that I have around... waiting to hear from you. Jimmy

thermal grease is conductive. Use electronics degreaser to remove.

Do not post your email in a public forum unless you like spam.

Duh... Like I said it is a "throw away e-mail" so spam away... I use Outlook.
and alcohol and a cue tip does the same......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back