There is no trade-off of functionality for security: the Web site can use the full range of active content tools, and if it uses these tools maliciously to install software or otherwise make changes in your computer, then these changes can be easily undone.
Sandboxie has originally been designed to increase the security of browsing with Internet Explorer, however it is just as effective with any other browser, and in fact, any other program. Sandboxie wraps a protection layer around the programs it supervises. It is this layer that intercepts and isolates any changes the programs make to the computer. And this layer is impartial to the specific program it wraps.
Sandboxie was designed as an application that will allow you isolates and quarantines website.
When you browse the web, changes occur to your computer system. Most of the time these changes are harmless, like recording the addresses of web sites you have visited (and when), so the browser can help you complete a web address that you type in. Whether these changes are harmless or harmful, they do in fact happen to your computer system.
When you use Sandboxie to protect your browsing session, it catches all these changes just as the browser is about to apply them into your computer system. Sandboxie does record these changes on behalf of the browser, but it records them in a special isolated folder, called the sandbox.
The benefit of having a sandbox is that it ensures your ability to get rid of all changes done by the browser, simply by deleting the sandbox folder.
Another useful feature of Sandboxie is the ability to terminate all sandboxed programs at once. As some web sites tend to pop up three new browser windows for each one you close, you can have Sandboxie close all of them with a click of a button.
- New Beta version 4.15.9
- There is a new EULA (license.txt)
- Fixed Chrome 37/38 crash error C0000008 (invalid handle).
- Fixed Chrome 38-64 hang (web page unresponsive).
- Fixed Chrome hang when printing to PDF.
- Browsers can now access Internet when using McAfee SaaS
- Fixed Silverlight crash in Win 8.1 (http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=18513)
- Fixed Excel crash when copying large amounts of data.
- Sandboxie now has language support for Farsi (Persian).
- The auto-update feature only checked the next update time (sandbox.ini setting SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck) 1 time when SbieCtrl.exe was started. If SbieCtrl.exe was kept running, it would never check the update time again. Several large memory leaks (reported by Dr. Larry Pepper et al.) have been fixed. http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18412
- ASLR is now enabled for SbieDll.dll 32 bit (64 bit will come later).
OpenIpcPath=\BaseNamedObjects\FontCachePort is now in templates.ini as a default. Until now, this was a suggested work-around for some Chrome 37 problems.
- NOTE: the default only applies to new installs. For existing installs, you need to go into Sandbox settings->Applications->Miscellaneous, and check the option "Allow direct access to Windows Font Cache"
- Added hook for GetProcessImageFileName/NtQueryInformationProcess so it now returns the sandboxed path.
- Improvements to the Dutch language text.
- The SbieSvc startup time has been increased from 5 seconds to 15 seconds to eliminate the following sequence of startup errors:
- SBIE2335 Initialization failed for process %2
- SBIE2336 Error in GUI server: %2
- SBIE2337 Failed to start program: %2
- Malware DarkComet is using a quirk in Windows to put up a MessageBox that does not have the sandboxed yellow window border. This poses no security risk, but to prevent user concern, this has been fixed.
- Special flag added to OpenWinClass to restore Buster Sandbox Analyzer (BSA) message logging. /IgnoreUIPI allows low integrity sandboxed processes to send WM_COPYDATA msgs to windows in higher integrity processes.
- Example Sandboxie.ini entries (both lines required):
- OpenWinClass=TFormBSA OpenWinClass=TFormBSA/IgnoreUIPI
- Fixed Sandboxed cmd.exe crash if window title > 256 chars. (http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19089)
- Fixed rare BSOD http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19076&p=101687
- Fixed kernel memory leak in SandboxieCrypto http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15820
- The combined installer SandboxieInstall.exe now checks for the VC Redistributables DLLs Sandboxie requires. If they are not up to date (10.0.40219.325), the installer will download and install the VC Redist. from sandboxie.com.
- If SandboxieInstall.exe tries to download the VC Redistributables and fails, there is now a retry option.
- To clarify:
- SandboxieInstall.exe does not contain MS VC DLLs. If they are not already installed or are not up to date, the installer will download the VC Redist. installer package and execute it.
- SandboxieInstall32.exe & SandboxieInstall64.exe contain the DLLs Sandboxie requires. If they are not installed or are not up to date, the installer copies the ones required into system32. The VC Redist. installer is not downloaded or executed.
Note: Sandboxie is shareware software but you are downloading the free version. The free version is missing a few features which are available in the paid version. After 30 days of use, the free version displays reminders to upgrade to the paid version, but remains functional. For personal use, you are encouraged, but not required, to upgrade to the paid version.