There is no trade-off of functionality for security: the Web site can use the full range of active content tools, and if it uses these tools maliciously to install software or otherwise make changes in your computer, then these changes can be easily undone.
Sandboxie has originally been designed to increase the security of browsing with Internet Explorer, however it is just as effective with any other browser, and in fact, any other program. Sandboxie wraps a protection layer around the programs it supervises. It is this layer that intercepts and isolates any changes the programs make to the computer. And this layer is impartial to the specific program it wraps.
Sandboxie was designed as an application that will allow you isolates and quarantines website.
When you browse the web, changes occur to your computer system. Most of the time these changes are harmless, like recording the addresses of web sites you have visited (and when), so the browser can help you complete a web address that you type in. Whether these changes are harmless or harmful, they do in fact happen to your computer system.
When you use Sandboxie to protect your browsing session, it catches all these changes just as the browser is about to apply them into your computer system. Sandboxie does record these changes on behalf of the browser, but it records them in a special isolated folder, called the sandbox.
The benefit of having a sandbox is that it ensures your ability to get rid of all changes done by the browser, simply by deleting the sandbox folder.
Another useful feature of Sandboxie is the ability to terminate all sandboxed programs at once. As some web sites tend to pop up three new browser windows for each one you close, you can have Sandboxie close all of them with a click of a button.
- Fixed Windows 10 build 14942 "SBIE2205 Service not implemented: SetWindowLong8"
- Fixed Windows 10-64 build 14965 "SBIE1222 Error with security token: (C00000BB / 35)"
- Fixed Windows 10-32 build 14971 "SBIE1222 Error with security token: (C0000058 / 62)"
- Fixed incompatibility with latest Nvidia drivers & DirectX.
- guard64.dll added to templates.ini for Comodo.
- In Win 8.1-32, and 10-32, UAC was always checked and grayed in Run Any Program start.exe dialog box.
- Added OpenWinClass=SWFlash_PlaceHolderX to fix Flash failure to start on some videos.
- Fixed certificate revocation check error (http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23207&p=122464)
- Temporary files are no longer created with copy/paste (http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22970)
- SbieCtrl now gets Sandboxie updates via https.
- ActivIdentity (and other manufacturers') secure smart cards (CAC) are now supported (https://www.hidglobal.com/identity-management).
- Fixed BSOD that can occur if your license has expired and you are using MS Office ClickToRun.
- Added "Always on Top" option to SbieCtrl View menu. This will keep the SbieCtrl window as the top-most window.
- Fixed elevated installer failure introduced in 5.14.
Note: Sandboxie is shareware software but you are downloading the free version. The free version is missing a few features which are available in the paid version. After 30 days of use, the free version displays reminders to upgrade to the paid version, but remains functional. For personal use, you are encouraged, but not required, to upgrade to the paid version.